cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rcuadra
Level 6

Recording and running of the silent install iss file

In our installer we have a drop down list that contains text that are localized and during the recording of the iss file the text recorded are localized. This seems to be a problem when it is time to run the recorded iss silently. If you do not supply a language code it automatically defaults to english so now the silent installation will fail.

Why would the installshield creation of the iss file does not include the language selected during the installation (drop down prompt to select the language of the dialog). This seems to be an easy thing to include so that the customer does not need to supply the language code during the running of the iss file.

As a workaround I was able to run my installation successfully if I do the following. Note the inclusion of the -l command variable.

C:\temp\setup.exe -l1034 /s /f1"C:\temp\silent.iss"

Is this by design? If so can I request a enhancement that when you record an iss file and you have numerous language that when it prompts it gets added into the iss as well.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
rcuadra
Level 6

rcuadra wrote:
In our installer we have a drop down list that contains text that are localized and during the recording of the iss file the text recorded are localized. This seems to be a problem when it is time to run the recorded iss silently. If you do not supply a language code it automatically defaults to english so now the silent installation will fail.

Why would the installshield creation of the iss file does not include the language selected during the installation (drop down prompt to select the language of the dialog). This seems to be an easy thing to include so that the customer does not need to supply the language code during the running of the iss file.

As a workaround I was able to run my installation successfully if I do the following. Note the inclusion of the -l command variable.

C:\temp\setup.exe -l1034 /s /f1"C:\temp\silent.iss"

Is this by design? If so can I request a enhancement that when you record an iss file and you have numerous language that when it prompts it gets added into the iss as well.

In addition to my question above, now that you can actually display Japanese characters in a non-japanese OS, why if you record a silent installation the .iss file is still save as ANSI? Is there a setting somewhere that this can be changed to say UNICODE or UTF-8 so when you look at the .iss file it is not showing ??? in what suppose to be a Japanese text.

Any response from anyone in the InstallShield development team is greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
rcuadra
Level 6

Can someone from development please respond to the question above.
0 Kudos