cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superfreak3
Level 11

Reading the 64 Bit Software Key From a 32 Bit Installer...

Hi all,

Forgive me if I may have asked about this before, but I can't find any thread involving me.

I'm grabbing a value from the HKLM\SOFTWARE\MyCompany\MyApp .. Path value on a 64 bit machine. That value holds C:\Program Files\MyCompany\MyApp\ as its value. I know that checking the 64 bit registry attribute when adding my Reg Value System Search is working because the value only exists in that hive and not in Wow6432Node.

However, if I display the value pulled, it has been converted to C:\Program Files (x86)\MyCompany\MyApp\. So, any Set Directory custom actions used to direct some components to the 64 Bit file system location do not work as intended.

What I've done to work around this problem is use separate, native 64 bit installer to handle 64 bit tasks.

I was just wondering if there was a way to get the directories set to 64 bit file system locations from our 32 bit installer. I believe I brought this up in the past, but just can't find any reference to it.

Any help appreciated!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
OldBean
Level 5

Try this in your Set Directory CA:
Disable(WOW64FSREDIRECTION);
and Enable it after your directory manipulation.
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

OldBean wrote:
Try this in your Set Directory CA:
Disable(WOW64FSREDIRECTION);
and Enable it after your directory manipulation.

I'm using a Basic MSI project and don't know if that matters, but I don't see a place to user the Disable/Enable switch as suggested.

I think, since the components are not marked as 64 bit, I can't get them to the 64 bit file system (directories always resolved to 32 bit file system). That is why I had to create the second x64 .msi launced after completion of my 32 bit installer. In there, third party Merge Module components and our components are marked as 64 bit and all works fine.

Until I get the time to create a complete 64 bit version of our current install to be used on that architecture, I'll have to keep my fingers crossed and go with the separate .msi for now.
0 Kudos
ElenaN
Level 6

I would try going to “Files and Folders” view, right click on “Destination Computer”, and in “Show Predefined Folders” menu choose [ProgramFiles64Folder].
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

ElenaN wrote:
I would try going to “Files and Folders” view, right click on “Destination Computer”, and in “Show Predefined Folders” menu choose [ProgramFiles64Folder].

I believe I tried that in the past and it still resolves to Program Files (x86) when running the 32 bit installer on a 64 bit machine.
0 Kudos
Roman1
Level 9

You can not read 64-Part Registry in 32-Bit setup.
You can do it using CA.
You can not copy files in 32-Bit setup to 64-Bit directory.
You can not in one setup put 32 and 64 Bit components.
0 Kudos
Superfreak3
Level 11

Roman1 wrote:
You can not read 64-Part Registry in 32-Bit setup.
You can do it using CA.
You can not copy files in 32-Bit setup to 64-Bit directory.
You can not in one setup put 32 and 64 Bit components.

It seems you can read the 64 bit registry if that bit is set, but using that value in Set Directory in a 32 bit installer will not work.
0 Kudos