cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Quick Patch not installing/upgrading files correctly

I must be jinxed because I can not seem to get Quick Patch to work correctly.

I have to patch one of my released install packages by adding some new font files, some new registry keys and update one non-versioned file.

So I created a Quick Patch project, using the base line install of the msi that I need patching. I add the font, registry keys and then the file that is to be updated.

The file to be updated, since it is not a versioned file, I simple selected it to always overwrite and to include as a whole file. Okay no problems with doing this.

After building the Quick Patch and trying it out all the fonts and registry keys were correctly added - yeah...

BUT, the one file that needed to be updated did not get updated. The log does not say anything about this file and there is no indication that there was a problem. If I then run the Add/Remove - repair on the product it will actually update the file to the new one. So the caching of the file in the msi works fine, so why did it not update the file during install?

I tried REINSTALLMODE=amus instead of the default omus and still the same thing.

I the tried to add a new file to go to the same location and again it would not update the one file or add the new one until I ran the repair option, then both files are added.

So can anyone tell me why these files are not updated/added???
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Lurean
Level 8

I have seen this issue before myself.

If I recall correctly the way I had to go around it was to tell the Quickpatch to remove the file from the installation and add the replacement as a new file.
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

I actually did this and it correctly removed the file from the cached msi, but not from the actual install folder. Again I had to run repair mode to get it to perform the correct update.

There must be something wrong with the patch of the main app .msi because again the font files correctly installed, but they were installed into a folder that I did not already have files being installed. Where as when I add any new or updated files to folders that the original install already had placed them created then the files are not installed until after repair mode.

If anyone as any Ideas at all about this I would appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Okay I have been playing with this and have found out that if I do NOT add the new registry key that we need that all the newly added font files and the one updated file correctly get installed on the machine.

But as soon as I add the registry key then either the updated file will not be installed onto the system or the new font files will not be installed or both and then you have to run repair to have them installed correctly.

So this is a pain if I can not add registry keys and files in the same patch as that is what we need.....

Has anyone seen this before?

Any response from IS?
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Okay I have tried many different methods and my Quick Patch refuses to work as long as I have the registry key attached to the project.

If I do not have the registry keys added then the files all get installed correctly, but as soon as I add those registry keys then the patch will fail to write any of the files to the system. It will only update the cached msi and therefore only on a repair will the new/updated files get installed.

Does anyone have any indication as to why this does not work???
Is there anything I can do to get around this issue?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Okay it looks like Quick Patch does not handle the registering added Font files.

I checked and the files themselves do get installed, but they do not get registered with the system therefore they do not show up in the fonts table.

So it looks like Flexera will have to apply a fix to their Quick Patch application to allow for Font files to be added and registered with the system.

Unless someone has been able to add and register Font files though a Quick Patch project and therefore can tell me how they did it?

Thanks,
0 Kudos