cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
John78
Level 3

Question on setting up registry entries under HKCU

Hi,

I am using "InstallShield 2013 Limited Edition for Visual Studio".

I would like to add a registry entry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER. In my installshield project, I drag and drop the entries from "Source computer's Registry view" to "Destination computer Registry view". I built the project and created the setup.exe file.

When I tried to install the setup.exe in my test machine, the above registry entries are only installed to the person who installed the setup not to every users.

Kindly help me resolving the issue.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
NameTooShort
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hi Josh,

Try to use an advertised shortcut. After installing, switch to another user and run that shortcut.
It should trigger an auto-repair and create the registry.
0 Kudos
John78
Level 3

kyi wrote:
Hi Josh,

Try to use an advertised shortcut. After installing, switch to another user and run that shortcut.
It should trigger an auto-repair and create the registry.

Thanks for your reply. Where can I find the advertised shortcut?

Also, practically it may not be possible to ask every user to run a script or something. And it may not be possible to verify whether every user executed that. We have huge user base and machines who are using our product.

Thanks
0 Kudos
NameTooShort
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

In the Shortcuts/Folders view, if you right click a location in the view, you should see a "New Advertised Shortcut" option.
This not exactly a scrip. It is a functionality built built into Windows Installer.
0 Kudos
John78
Level 3

kyi wrote:
In the Shortcuts/Folders view, if you right click a location in the view, you should see a "New Advertised Shortcut" option.
This not exactly a scrip. It is a functionality built built into Windows Installer.

Thanks for reply. In the folders view I have

Shortcuts
>Taskbar
>>Start Menu
>>>Programs Menu
>>>>Startup
>SendTo
>Desktop

If I choose any of the above folders I have "New Advertised Shortuct" option. When I click on it, it is prompting me to choose a target file. Which one I need to choose?
0 Kudos
NameTooShort
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

You should choose the program that gets launched.

You can also use an active setup as well. The blog below is for a full version of InstallShield, but you should be able to do this in limited edition as well.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/aruns_blog/archive/2011/06/20/active-setup-registry-key-what-it-is-and-how-to-create-in-the-package-using-admin-studio-install-shield.aspx
0 Kudos
John78
Level 3

kyi wrote:

You can also use an active setup as well. The blog below is for a full version of InstallShield, but you should be able to do this in limited edition as well.
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/aruns_blog/archive/2011/06/20/active-setup-registry-key-what-it-is-and-how-to-create-in-the-package-using-admin-studio-install-shield.aspx

Thanks a lot for your help. I will try using it.
0 Kudos
John78
Level 3

kyi wrote:

I tried using "Active setup" method and it worked great. However, I found one issue though ...

Say we are installing version 1.0 with some HKCU entries and it will be applied to non-administrator user's registry using Active setup method. And we are creating a new version of our product 2.0 and made some changes to those HKCU entries and installed the new version in our computer. The new changes are not reflected in user's registry.

How it can be fixed?
0 Kudos