cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DLee65
Level 13

Question about file path length for Destination Dialog

QA was testing the limits for our new installer. I am using the Suite / Advanced UI package and have a basic MSI package included. I included a 'Destination' wizard page for the main application in the Suite UI.

If the value in the field exceeds a certain number of characters then only the first part of the path will display for the user.
QA tested the following value:
C:\Program Files (x86)\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa\bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb\ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc\ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd\eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee\fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff\gggggggggggggggggggg

If the tester limits the path to the 'aa' sequence, then the path displays. Once he exceeds the 'aa' sequence then the path trims to 'C:\Program Files (x86)'.

Here is what I would have expected:
1. The path trims to the last 'aa' sequence and shows '...' characters to indicate more to the path
2. The path trims to the last space character but still shows '...', ellipsis characters.

QUESTION:
Is there a way to change the behavior of the display for the dialog
How have others handled long path situations
How have others handled inappropriate paths? Can I limit the user from installing to the recycle bin for example? It displays as part of the browse dialog. Also I want to limit users to prevent installing to a user directory, such as Documents, Desktop, etc.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
DLee65
Level 13

I found one answer the SS_PATHELLIPSIS static control mask was not set by default on the destination dialog. The good thing is that it is easy to set the bit using the Advanced UI interface. 😮

I suspect that we are still limited to MAX_PATH for the length of a path.
0 Kudos