cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Pushing Chained installs with Language pack Transform .mst files

I have a Chained msi package that supports 52 languages, and each of the child packages also support some of most of the languages. So my question is how to push the child packages .mst file.

So would I do the same as all the other command that are pushed? so I have the following:
INSTALLDIR="[INSTALLDIR]" DESKTOP_ICONS="[DESKTOP_ICONS]" SCHOOLFILE="[SCHOOLFILE]"

This then passes the value of these properties to my child install. So was I also suppose to put TRANSFORMS="[TRANSFORMS]", if so then if the child install actually does not support that language and therefore does not have that transform .mst file will this cause an error or will it just be ignored?

Thanks,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Okay I did a quick test and where I specified for the child command line: TRANSFORMS="[TRANSFORMS]", where the TRANSFORMS="1036.mst" was the in the command line passed to the Parent Chained msi. This caused error 1624 in the msi that was passed TRANSFORMS="[TRANSFORMS]"

So this does not work this way!!! So how does one pass in the language transform to the children .msi files or is it suppose to just work off of what the parent gets passed and therefore will link in it's own .mst file???

Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
jwallenstein
Level 4

Hello Tim,
we are not using chained installation, becouse they are processed as a single transaction with main setup.

It does mean, if there is a setup error in chain, the whole
installation (mean setup as well) rolls back.

It is not practicable.

Regards
Jan

P.S.
In our earlier installation I had following Install property string:

INSTALLDIR="[INSTALLDIR]ChainFolder1" CHAIN1_PROP="Package 1" SETUPTYP_PROP=[MYSETUPTYPE]

You have to set TRANSFORMS property to whole directory with mst file (c:\abc\1036.mst).
I hope it helps.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

You will probably need a custom action that understands the mapping between the selected language for the parent and the language that should be used in the chained install. This custom action can then set a property with the appropriate transform (or lack thereof) that you use in your command-line similar to your mention; something like { TRANSFORMS="[CHILD1_TRANSFORMS]"} could do the trick (assuming your action defines CHILD1_TRANSFORMS to the list of required transforms). Like Jan says, make sure you specify the entire path for these transforms; otherwise you'd have to rely on the current directory being magically correct.
0 Kudos