cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chrisjon
Level 3

Prompt To Install As New Product Or Upgrade

I have been asked to prompt the user if they would like to install the new version of our product as upgrade or a new product if a previous version was installed.

It is currently a basic MSI. Does anyone know how I can add this functionality?

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
chrisjon
Level 3

After looking into it more it looks like multiple instances are the way to go. Please correct me if I am wrong.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I'm a little unclear on what you desire to do. Multiple instances allow you to install, e.g., version 1.00 multiple times side by side. However you say something about upgrading, so perhaps you wanted to allow one install of version 1.00 to either be (removed and) upgraded to version 2.00 or to be kept and have both 1.00 and 2.00 installed at the same time. Multiple instances do not help with the latter (assuming you want at most one of each version); careful handling of FindRelatedProducts, RemoveExistingProducts, and the associated action properties allow that.
0 Kudos
chrisjon
Level 3

You are right, I want the ability to upgrade or install a newer version or as you desribed: "one install of version 1.00 to either be (removed and) upgraded to version 2.00 or to be kept and have both 1.00 and 2.00 installed at the same time".

When I tried to implement it using multiple instances it appeared to work. I added a new instance for the newer version and it provided the choice when already had a previous version installed to remove and install or install seperately. If nothing was installed it worked like it always had. As far as I could tell it could be used to accomplish what I need but it sounds like that is way more work than it needs to be.

I will try out the actions you mentioned. Thanks for the help!
0 Kudos
jayzee
Level 2

Were you able to get this figured out? I am tasked with this same type of effort.
0 Kudos
chrisjon
Level 3

I believe we ended up skipping the request to upgrade or install separately due to the added complexity for something we really didn't need (a finance guy at our company wanted it).

I now work somewhere else and I don't remember which solutions worked at the time. Good luck!
0 Kudos