cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IlkkaV
Level 7

Program Name in UAC prompt for signed Suite project

Is there a way to determine the Program Name that is displayed in the UAC prompt for a signed Suite project? For .ism projects this works fine and also a package without Authenticode signatures works quite OK by using the actual package name as Program Name, but when a signed Suite project is built, the Program Name is Setup, which causes confusion in users as the name displayed in the prompt corresponds neither to the package or the product name they were expecting to install. The "Use Custom Version Properties" settings for releases don't seem to have any effect on this.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I believe this is pulled from the setup.exe tab setting "Executable File Name". Does changing that change the text you see in the UAC prompt? Is changing the name of the .exe file acceptable, or would you need this to be configurable separately?
0 Kudos
IlkkaV
Level 7

MichaelU wrote:
I believe this is pulled from the setup.exe tab setting "Executable File Name". Does changing that change the text you see in the UAC prompt? Is changing the name of the .exe file acceptable, or would you need this to be configurable separately?

Unfortunately that setting changes only the exe name and the name in UAC prompt is still Setup, which (unsurprisingly) matches neither our product name or the exe name. The publisher setting is correct as that comes from the signing certificate, but it makes us look amateurish when the program name displays an obvious default value while our other products use the correct name. For after all, our other installers are Basic MSI .ism projects and this is our first Suite project.
0 Kudos
IlkkaV
Level 7

I also inspected whether this was due to signing flaw with IsCmdBld.exe and Suite projects (http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?205909-Signing-issue-with-IsCmdBld), but builds created using an elevated IsCmdBld.exe and straight from the IDE have this issue, too.
0 Kudos
IlkkaV
Level 7

Unfortunately this issue still exists also in InstallShield 2013 😞
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I've reproduced this and logged it internally as IOA-000085115. I can't guarantee timelines, but we'll see about fixing this for our next release.
0 Kudos
IlkkaV
Level 7

MichaelU wrote:
I've reproduced this and logged it internally as IOA-000085115. I can't guarantee timelines, but we'll see about fixing this for our next release.

Thanks MichaelU, that's great to hear!
0 Kudos

Hi, I am using IS 2019 and still experience this issue.

Except the program name is called "F95D" ?!?!

I searched for that string, nowhere in my InstallScript MSI Project.

Attaching picture.

How do I change this name (and an icon, as well!).

0 Kudos