cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mista_speckta
Level 3

Product installs on wrong hard disk partition

Hi,

I currently have 2 partitions (C: and D:) on my machine, and for some reason the installer installs onto the 😧 by default, but when I specify the installer to install on C:, not all the folders are copied over. I did some more testing, and found that if the 😧 partition is not formatted, there are no problems - all the folders are copied over correctly. If I then run a uninstall, format the 😧 to NTFS file system, and run the install again, I run into the same problem as before. Does anyone know why this is happening? or where I can specify the default location for the files/folders that are copied over? Thanks in advance!

-Sean
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
arsirantala
Level 5

I have experienced this before. I think it has to do with how windows installer tries to find a drive with enough space where to copy the files - if your C drive didn't have enough space it decided to copy the files in D drive instead.

I think you'll need to set property ROOTDRIVE with value C:\ in your package to avoid this.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa371372(VS.85).aspx

Though I haven't experienced this with installshield packages I've done - only packages I've run.
0 Kudos
Cromagnon35
Level 4

arsirantala wrote:
I have experienced this before. I think it has to do with how windows installer tries to find a drive with enough space where to copy the files - if your C drive didn't have enough space it decided to copy the files in D drive instead.

I think you'll need to set property ROOTDRIVE with value C:\ in your package to avoid this.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa371372(VS.85).aspx

Though I haven't experienced this with installshield packages I've done - only packages I've run.

You're close, with 3.x Microsoft has the drive with the most available space as the default.
0 Kudos
mista_speckta
Level 3

Fantastic! It worked like a charm! You guys are great! Thanks!:D 😄 😄
0 Kudos