cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Pilgrim

Product Reinstalls - no feedback to user?

Hello,

I have created a new product install and when I run the installer a second time, I would have expected to see some sort of message telling me that I already have this version installed on the system. Instead, the installer simply proceeds as if it has absolutely no knowledge of the previous installation.

Is there a way to implement this simple check and then prompt the end-user if they want to reinstall or exit?

Thanks in advance
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Pilgrim

Re: Product Reinstalls - no feedback to user?

Yep. 😄

What I do in my project is I have two Wizard Sequences:

Install sequence has an AlreadyInstalled condition where my top-level product bean must not already be installed.

ReInstall sequence has an AlreadyInstalled condition where my top-level product bean must already be installed.

Welcome to the world of missing features known as... InstallShield.

cheers,

/gam/
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Pilgrim

What would you do in the case of having the product installed on its own the first time, and then installed as an assembly from a suite the next time? This is something that will also need to be addressed.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Pilgrim

gamlidek wrote:
Yep. 😄

What I do in my project is I have two Wizard Sequences:

Install sequence has an AlreadyInstalled condition where my top-level product bean must not already be installed.

ReInstall sequence has an AlreadyInstalled condition where my top-level product bean must already be installed.

Welcome to the world of missing features known as... InstallShield.

cheers,

/gam/

Can you describe the condition that you are using? I assume the InstallCheckWizardBeanCondition but what are the "check names", etc? Also, are you including that wizard sequence in each part of the main installation sequence? (preinstall/install/postinstall)

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Pilgrim

You can search these forums (or the online extra beans page) for "AlreadyInstalledCondition"...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Pilgrim

Hi,

Thanks. Trial and Error seems to be the preferred solution here.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Pilgrim

RobertDickau wrote:
You can search these forums (or the online extra beans page) for "AlreadyInstalledCondition"...

Where is this online extra beans page?

The AlreadyInstalledCondition does not seem to work properly.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Pilgrim

Product Reinstalls - no feedback to user?

Any solution to the problem of AlreadyInstalledCondition not working? I just hit this problem too

(also was unable to rebuild the condition since wizard.jar is missing from the lib directory)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Pilgrim

BTW, the online extra beans page is at:

http://www.installshield.com/downloads/beans.asp?prod=mpf

Other sources I have located for beans - the first 2 are pretty old:

http://community.installshield.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97
InstallShield MultiPlatform 5.x Bean Gallery sub-forum

http://community.installshield.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56
InstallShield MultiPlatform 4.x Bean Gallery sub-forum

http://www.installsite.org/pages/en/mp/isuniv.htm
InstallShield Universal Samples
(only one here - checking sudo authentication for Mac OS X)

I have written a similar condition for OS/400 (to check that the installing user has *SECOFR class, and to display the class if not) and am trying to figure out the best place to post it. Guess these (my OS/400 condition and the one for MacOS X) complement the Admin Condition supplied on the InstallShield page (which does the same function for UNIX or Windows).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Pilgrim

(As for the case of the vanishing wizard.jar, please see [thread=157679]this thread[/thread].)
0 Kudos