cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
patrick_arena
Level 4

Problem with large amount of files

Hello everyone.
I use Installshield 2012 Spring Professional Edition Version 19 updated it with the SP1.
I am having issues with an Installshield Msi project I work with.
I am dealing with a very large number of files resulting in more than 2GB.
Some of them are in the support files, some Others are part of the feature.
What I need is that after the build everything is compressed in a single executable but when I compile I get a 0 code error with no further explanation.

If I put them all in the support files I get

SDEV : fatal error -5025: Could not save "E:\InstallShield 2012 Spring Projects\Output\PROJECT_ASSISTANT\SINGLE_EXE_IMAGE\DiskImages\DISK1\BRAND\2 - Main Program.msi"

What have i got to do then?
Thank you in advance for any help
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
ITI_Randy
Level 6

patrick.arena wrote:
Hello everyone.
I use Installshield 2012 Spring Professional Edition Version 19 updated it with the SP1.
I am having issues with an Installshield Msi project I work with.
I am dealing with a very large number of files resulting in more than 2GB.
Some of them are in the support files, some Others are part of the feature.
What I need is that after the build everything is compressed in a single executable but when I compile I get a 0 code error with no further explanation.

If I put them all in the support files I get

SDEV : fatal error -5025: Could not save "E:\InstallShield 2012 Spring Projects\Output\PROJECT_ASSISTANT\SINGLE_EXE_IMAGE\DiskImages\DISK1\BRAND\2 - Main Program.msi"

What have i got to do then?
Thank you in advance for any help

There may be better options for you than having a compressed package of that size. Typically the reason for a compressed package is simply that you desire to distribute only a single file to your customer, but when it requires compressing 2 GB, it becomes impractical for both you and your customer. The project will take forever to build in your InstallShield IDE and it will take forever to unpack on the customer's target machine before the Welcome dialog appears.

Another possible solution is to leave the file structure uncompressed and simply create a setup to handle the installation of the uncompressed files. Your package will build for you in seconds instead of 20 or 30 minutes and it will launch immediately for your end customer, instead of them thinking it has failed because it takes so long to start.

You can do this and still distribute a single file by zipping the end result with a product like WinZip which will allow you to create a quick zip for deployment that simply unpacks your files, launches your setup, waits for it to complete and then dumps the leftovers.

We have also found instances where we create a setup to handle the uncompressed files and then create a single ISO file of the structure which allows for quick easy transfer to CD/DVD or download by the customer as a single file.
0 Kudos
patrick_arena
Level 4

Thanx a lot Randy,
I've been working thouroughly on the problem and got to the same solution.
So now I know that I did well
Patrick

ITI_Randy wrote:
There may be better options for you than having a compressed package of that size. Typically the reason for a compressed package is simply that you desire to distribute only a single file to your customer, but when it requires compressing 2 GB, it becomes impractical for both you and your customer. The project will take forever to build in your InstallShield IDE and it will take forever to unpack on the customer's target machine before the Welcome dialog appears.

Another possible solution is to leave the file structure uncompressed and simply create a setup to handle the installation of the uncompressed files. Your package will build for you in seconds instead of 20 or 30 minutes and it will launch immediately for your end customer, instead of them thinking it has failed because it takes so long to start.

You can do this and still distribute a single file by zipping the end result with a product like WinZip which will allow you to create a quick zip for deployment that simply unpacks your files, launches your setup, waits for it to complete and then dumps the leftovers.

We have also found instances where we create a setup to handle the uncompressed files and then create a single ISO file of the structure which allows for quick easy transfer to CD/DVD or download by the customer as a single file.
0 Kudos