cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vibhash
Level 3

Problem with Silent mode installation in IS2010

We are facing some strange problem with Installshield 2010. When we create the intallation setup.exe using IS 6.x (Installshield 2000), and run the installer in silent mode, it works fine. However it gives problem in case of Installshield 2010.

Also in case of IS2010, if the installation is started manually on DOS, it works. However if it is started by a windows service, it doesn't work. A returncode of "-3" is returned in the .log file.

We are running installation on Windows Server 2003 and 2008 OS.

Did anyone else also faced the same problem while running installation in silent mode in case of IS 2010 ? Could someone provide any inputs what could be the problem which we might have missed to check.

Thanks in advance for help !
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Not applicable

You can try to record new *.iss file for your target OS.

Reuslt Code: -3
Description: Required data not found in the Setup.iss file.
0 Kudos
vibhash
Level 3

Thanks Kevin, will try that and would be back with results.
0 Kudos
vibhash
Level 3

I tried by using the setup.iss created in record mode. Still the return code in silent mode is '-3'. Can it be a problem with windows service through which the installation is executed ?
Also, this works for Installshield 2000. We had migrated the code to Installshield 2010. Any pointers if anything in specific related to Installshield 2010 creating the problem ?
0 Kudos
deramor
Level 6

You should compare the newly created iss file with your old one. IS2010 changed the internal names of some UI pages. For instance they started using a MessageBox rather than Sprintf. This change will mean that your iss files are not interchangeable between versions.

The differences are subtle however they cause a critical failure of this silent action.

Because of this, I have used a for of Inter Process Communication to handle uninstalls. I pass a token ini file with some settings to the installer and in script, I extract all the info I need. This doesn't disable the UI which means I can get any warnings or error messages displayed directly to the screen without first having to predict their occurrence in the iss file.

Due to the rigid requirements for iss files, I implemented this IPC functionality in all my projects. My incidence of errors went way down. The ipc implementation is just a bunch of string searches on the ini file for specific settings. Nothing too fancy.
0 Kudos