cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
evan1024
Level 2

Problem with 2011 upgrade - Deprecated objects

Hi-
I just upgraded a project from Installshield 12 to Installshield 2010, and then to Installshield 2011. It was a VB6 project that needed several Microsoft DLL's, including MDAC 2.7, comct232.ocx, comctl32.ocx, msvbm60.dll and oleaut32.dll.

These files had been manually placed into components back in the day, so when I did the upgrade to 2010, I removed the individual files, and added the appropriate objects
-Microsoft Windows Common Controls(5.0),
-Microsoft Windows Common Controls -2(5.0)
-MDAC 2.7(English)
-MS VB VM 6.0
-MS OLE 2.40 for Windows NT and Win95
This worked fine. Installs built without error and the programs ran fine after installation.

However, after upgrading to Installshield 2011, I get a warning:
-7216 This project includes InstallScript objects that are deprecated. These objects should be removed from the project. Setup prerequisites should be used instead where possible.

I take this to mean that the objects are deprecated, and there is one that is available as a prerequisite. However there are four objects for which no prerequisite exists (or at least I don't see it in the list...)? Should I just ignore this warning? I feel like I'm missing something. Any thoughts welcome.
Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
mitutoyo
Level 4

evan,

Installshield is planning to deprecate the use of objects in the future (I have already called, emailed, and posted here my opinion that they should rethink this). I believe you will always get this message if you have a merge module or other object included in your installer, even "new" offerings.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Please note that most of the files contained in the objects listed here have been shipping in Windows for nearly ten years and therefore no longer need to be included in a setup project as they will never be installed (nor will Windows allow installing/overwriting these files because they are protected with Windows File Protection/Windows Resource Protection to maintain the integrity of the system).
0 Kudos