cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KarenMcElroy
Level 3

Problem setting INSTALLDIR from registry key

Hi,

I'm trying to set INSTALLDIR from a registry key according to the article "MSI Tip: Setting ISNTALLDIR Based on a System Search" from InstallShield Tips and Tricks.

Its not working. My files always go to the default directory, but I need them to be installed to C:\CompanyName\ProductName -- its a legacy product.

The registry key I'm pointing to is there.

I also tried to use the WHERE_ISDEV_IS exactly as written and that's not putting any files in the isdev.exe directory, either.

Open to suggestions.

Karen:confused:
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Gvarma
Level 7

KarenMcElroy wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to set INSTALLDIR from a registry key according to the article "MSI Tip: Setting ISNTALLDIR Based on a System Search" from InstallShield Tips and Tricks.

Its not working. My files always go to the default directory, but I need them to be installed to C:\CompanyName\ProductName -- its a legacy product.

The registry key I'm pointing to is there.

I also tried to use the WHERE_ISDEV_IS exactly as written and that's not putting any files in the isdev.exe directory, either.

Open to suggestions.

Karen:confused:

Dont use WHERE_ISDEV_IS,its totally not reliable, instead you could use a function something like

function SetinstallPath()
begin
//using reggetkey or similar function read the sting (path) into a variable svValue

MsiSetproperty(IS_HANDLE,"INSTALLDIR",svValue);
//above code will set the value of svValue to INSTALLDIR.
end;

HTH
0 Kudos