cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tcom36
Level 7

Problem installing SQLExpress on XP SP3 as prerequisite

Hello

I do have an MSI Installscript project. I am installing the SQL Express 2005 as a prerequisite and that was working fine upto now, as I tried to install the application on a WinXP3.

It seems that the SQL Express 2005 tries to install an older version of the MSXML6 library as the one provided by the SP3 of XP.

The knowledge base of Microsoft explains that in order to install SQL Express on XP SP3, one needs to download Windows Installer CleanUp utility in order to uninstall MSXML 6.0 Service Pack 2 before installing SQL Express.

How do I integrate that in the MSI Installscript project? Is there anyway to have a prerequisite to uninstall the MSXML6 SP2, which has to run before the database installation?

Any help is welcome.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
SaberRider
Level 5

Hi,

a short way to avoid this is to use a SQL 2005 Express server with the same localisation as your OS.

E.g.: WinXP Pro SP3 German - SQL 2005 Expr German => works 🙂
WinXP Pro SP3 German - SQL 2005 Expr English => BAM! 😞

Greetings,
Gøran
0 Kudos
Alex_W
Level 6

Hi tcom

I've come across this problem too. We have customers with older versions of our product in which SQLExpress SP2 was installed. Because they’re running on a XP SP2 box, when SQLExpress SP3 tried to upgrade the previous installation it would explode and in a few cases it’s reported that this cause the blue screen of death.

See http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/68f6527f-7109-44f2-bd05-538339e2f76b

This bug in a Microsoft problem, but I wonder if the short term solution is to just test the target system and if the OS is XP SP2 just stop the installation of SQLExpress and tell the end user the install SP3. Since this redistributable runs as a prerequisite then I would guess adding another condition to the SQLExpress would to the trick. The problem I’m having is that I haven’t found one registry entry that is reliable for testing what OS and SP the installer is running on.

Or is there a way to add some kind of conditional statement to conditions, so if condition X is true try condition Y?
0 Kudos