cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ggrewe
Level 5

Problem Installing SQL Express Prerequisite

Using InstallShield 2009, SP1 and adding the SQL Express SP2 Prerequisite I receive the follow error on occasion;

---------------------------
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup
An installation package for the product Microsoft SQL Server Native Client cannot be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package 'sqlncli.msi'.
OK

I found that when this error occurs a different version of SQL Server Native Client is already installed. When the prerequisite tries to install over the top of the existing version, it causes the above error. Manually removing the Native Client and reinstalling the prerequisite corrects the problem.

My question is this;

Can we test to see if the Native Client already exists and if it does, uninstall it before the prerequisite starts? If so, how?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
jwreels
Level 5

I have also encounter this problem but haven't been able to figure out the cause. Any help would be great.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

It looks like that the 'sqlncli.msi' installation package supports major upgrades as it has a couple of entries in the Upgrade table. Try to install it as a setup prerequisite before installing a Microsoft SQL Sever 2005 Express SP2, and see if it solves the issue. You can download the Microsoft SQL Sever 2005 SP2 compatible version of sqlncli.msi from Feature Pack for Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - February 2007.

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos