cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steve_McCrea
Level 4

Prevent shortcut pinning

We have a problem with shorcuts showing up in the Start menu main list (Vista and 7) and now on the Metro UI. We install the shortcut in a folder below all programs and would like to prevent it from being placed at the top level and especially on the Metro UI.

I hope this is not expected behavior. What bit do I have to flip to prevent our short cut being pinned to the start menu?

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
RichardW
Level 3

This sounds like it could be a feature of the operating system. You might want to visit these links for more info:

Clear lists on the Start menu and taskbar

Kill New Program Highlighting in Any Start Menu
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

There are some Shortcut Properties you can specify on systems using Windows Installer 5.0 and later. However there are downsides to the approach in that this can result in modal dialogs if something goes wrong (such as the .lnk file is locked, or the chosen property isn't available on the current OS).

System.AppUserModel.StartPinOption = 1 (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/pl/windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues/thread/11fa666b-7b5c-4d38-b5c3-81e88528cfd3) should help with the metro start page.

System.AppUserModel.ExcludeFromShowInNewInstall = 1 (http://helpnet.installshield.com/installshield16helplib/SettingShellShtctProp.htm) should help with the start menu highlighting.
0 Kudos
Steve_McCrea
Level 4

I tried to set the property NoPinToStartOnInstall in the shortcut wizard but it consistently displayed the annoying error 1946 dialog and did not prevent The Pinning. I also tried from the command line /VNoPinToStartOnInstall=1 without success.
0 Kudos
RayKode
Level 6

Have been able to resolve this yet ?
I am having the same issue.

I have tried, (based on a suggestion from IS and as shown in the Windows 8 SDK) setting the Shortcut Shell properties to:
Property: {9F4C2855-9F79-4B39-A8D0-E1D42DE1D5F3}, 12
Value: 1

No errors during installation, but the shortcut is still pinned to the Start screen for everyone.

So, I was wondering if you have been able to engineer a solution since your last post. (That you might be good enough to share.)
0 Kudos
HookEm
Level 5

You must set the System.AppUserModel.ID property before you can set any of the other properties.
0 Kudos
jesuraj
Level 4

Hi Michael,

I have added the following short cut properties:
Property: {9F4C2855-9F79-4B39-A8D0-E1D42DE1D5F3}, 5 (System.AppUserModel.ID)
Value: 1

Property: {9F4C2855-9F79-4B39-A8D0-E1D42DE1D5F3}, 12 (System.StartPinOption)
Value: 1 (Tried with both 1 and 2 as the value and it did not make a difference)

Property: {9F4C2855-9F79-4B39-A8D0-E1D42DE1D5F3}, 8 (System.ExcludeFromShowInNewInstall)
Value 1

After all these suggested settings, the shortcuts are not added to both the start screen and secondary screen.

What is the setting I should be using to add the short cuts to the secondary screen only?

My installer is a basic MSI project written using InstallShield 2010.

Any help is appreciated in getting this to work.

Thanks.
0 Kudos