cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheeBOB
Level 3

Preserve previous builds

I'm fairly new to InstallShield. One annoyance I have with building a new setup.exe, is that all the contents in the PROJECT_ASSISTANT\SINGLE_EXE_IMAGE\DiskImages\DISK1 folder are deleted on every build.

I used to use a different installer product (the company is out of business). Anyway, in the other program I would build a new setup.exe, and then I would immediately rename that setup.exe to incorporate the version number - IE, if the version 1.0.0.0, then it would be named setup.1.0.0.0.exe

When I build a new setup.exe with InstallShield (Spring 2012), the renamed setup.1.0.0.0.exe goes poof. I am now in the habit of just copying the setup.exe to a new folder and renaming it there. I was just wondering if there is a way to get it to preserve the contents of the DISK1 folder.

If not, that is fine. I'm just trying to save on the extra step of copying the setup.exe elsewhere.

(P.S. I tried googling & searching this forum every which way I could think of before asking this question).
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
DebbieL
Level 17

The easiest thing to do would be to switch from the Project Assistant (since it sounds like that's where you are configuring your build) to the Releases view, and then clone your release:
[LIST=1]
  • Click the Installation Designer tab.
  • In the View List under Media, click Releases.
  • In the Releases tree, right-click the release that you want to save, and then click Clone. InstallShield adds a new node called Copy of .
  • Right-click the new copy node and click Rename. Then enter a new unique name for your new release.

When you build the new release, InstallShield will save it in its own location.
  • 0 Kudos