cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loralynne
Level 6

Prerequisites, processor type, and silent installation

I have a basic MSI project that has both a 32-bit product configuration and a 64-bit product configuration (each with a setup.exe). Both configurations have the same set of prerequisites which include 32-bit installers.

Although 64-bit apps can't run on 32-bit machines, one of our test cases is to attempt to run the 64-bit installer on a 32-bit machine. Running setup.exe for the 64-bit installer non-silently on a 32-bit machine displays the error dialog "This installation package is not supported by this processor type..." as expected, and neither the prerequisites nor the main product get installed. However, when it is run silently, the prerequisites do get installed (unexpected behavior), but not the main product (expected behavior).

Is there a way I can conditionalize the prerequisites such that they get installed in the following scenarios:

- the bootstrapper for my 32-bit installer is run on 32-bit machines
- the bootstrapper for my 32-bit installer is run on 64-bit machines
- the bootstrapper for my 64-bit installer is run on 64-bit machines

but not when the bootstrapper for my 64-bit installer is run on 32-bit machines?

Again, this problem only happens during a silent install.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Lora
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
loralynne
Level 6

Anyone have any input on this?

To put it another way, is there a way that setup.exe can tell 1) if it's associated with my 32-bit msi or my 64-bit msi AND 2) what the processor type of the target machine is?

Thanks,
Lora
0 Kudos