cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dean_H
Level 7

Prerequisite falsely triggered on 64bit OS

I have an InstallShield 2011 MSI project that installs a PDF printer as a prequisite. I have setup this prerequisite to install based on the presence of a registry entry that is located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CussrentVersion\Uninstall\pdfkey. I have checked the radio button for 64 bit to use 32bit setting, however the prerequisite ALWAYS appears as a prerequisite on 64bit OS even when the printer is already installed unless I put a fake entry in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\pdfkey
Why is it still looking in the WOW6432Node registry when I'm telling it to use the 32bit? Is this a known issue?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The WOW6432Node area is the 32-bit area; the 64-bit areas do not have that prefix.
0 Kudos
Dean_H
Level 7

What selection, Default, 32 or 64 do I select to get it to work correctly in a 64bit OS if the registry entry is here HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CussrentVersion\Uninstall\pdfkey? I tried the settings of both 32 and 64, and it still tried installing when it was already present.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

If you always want to look in HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\... then specify 64-bit. You may want to verify that the relevant key is actually stored in the 64-bit uninstall area. Also check out if there's anything useful in the log generated by setup.exe /debuglog, as that may help diagnose exactly what it's looking for.
0 Kudos
Dean_H
Level 7

I changed the Prerequisite Condition for a 64bit OS to look for this entry and now it works correctly, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\Currentversion\Print\Printers\PDFkey
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

That location is the 32-bit location, so I would expect specifying either 32-bit or default with this key would work (note lack of Wow6432Node; redirection will "insert" it):
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Currentversion\Print\Printers\PDFkey
0 Kudos