cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dph_2009
Level 3

Prerequisite - Add File Subdirectories?

I am attempting to add a prerequisite to my InstallScript MSI project that consists of somebody else's installer.

This other installer consists of several directories and this directory structure must be maintained. There are several files with duplicate names which are only distinguished by the directory they are contained in. And, for the installer to run correctly, it needs to refer to components that are in subdirectories relative to itself.

The problem is when I use the prerequisite editor to add these files and then build my project, I discover that all of the prerequisite's files are all put into the same directory (under the prereq's subdirectory under ISSetupPrerequisites); all of the directory structure is lost.

Is there a way to build a prerequisite that avoids this problem?

Thanks for the help.

Dan
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
dph_2009
Level 3

The closest thing to a workaround that I've come up with is to create a prerequisite that only lists the initial file to execute (so that this can be specified as the app to run in the prerequisite editor).

Then, after doing a build, copy the entire directory tree into the appropriate ISSetupPrerequisites subdirectory.

This is far from optimal as it is very easy to forget to do this whenever I do a full rebuild.

Does anybody have any better suggestions as to how to do this within the IS IDE?

Thanks again for the help,

Dan
0 Kudos
gavin_landon
Level 6

What is your prereq based on? Versioning, file existence, or what?
0 Kudos
dph_2009
Level 3

File versioning?

How exactly does that have any relevance to my issue?
0 Kudos
gavin_landon
Level 6

Well, if it was based on File Existence, you could do this via IS code outside of the prereq part of IS. Since it's based on version, trying to maintain that would be a hassle. However if you don't mind the hassle and maintained a flat/xml file of file's and versioning then used that instead via code.

My Installers are mainly custom so I'm finding I don't use much of the preset stuff within IS and since IS is powerful enough for me to code it myself, I do.

Just a thought, plus asking you questions gives me ideas as I may run into the same issues.
0 Kudos