Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
rguggisberg
Level 13

Premier and Professional

Jump to solution

Hi,

At my new company we have engineers using the Professional edition of InstallShield. If I get a Premier licence could that negatively impact the other guys that are using Professional?

What happens if, for example, I modify a package with something that is only available in Premier (such as adding Windows Features at install time). Can they still make other changes to that package if needed using Professional?

Is anyone else using both editions?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution

Hi @rguggisberg ,

Any premier only feature won't get built on professional which might lead to mis-use of licenses.Hence there will build error on the features not supported by Professional.Taking windows feature example,on building premier suite file you will get the below error:

ISDEV : error -7334: The package 'XXXX' includes references to Windows features, which are not supported in this edition of InstallShield. These references will not be included in the build.

on professional edition.This is by design.

Hope it clarifies,

Thanks,

Jenifer

View solution in original post

(4) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi @rguggisberg ,

If i understand the query properly,the team you have has different engineers using premier & professional licenses.But InstallShield files are common,is it?

In that case they ll have the ability to work with features supported only with professional .For an example Suite project's feature of adding multiple packages is limited only to premier edition.If they(who have professional edition access) take this file and try building in Professional edition it will throw build error saying "This  Advanced UI project can include only one primary package".

Hope it clarifies!!

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Thanks Jennifer. Yes, we have 3 people; 2 people are using Professional and thinking about adding a Premier license for a 3rd person. The ones with Professional won't be working with Suites. Suppose the one with Premier uses a feature that is only available in Premier, such as enabling Windows Features. Now what happens when the Professional users try to make other changes to that package. Will this cause problems? I want a Premier license, but don't want that to require that we upgrade all the licenses.

Thanks Again

0 Kudos

Hi @rguggisberg ,

Any premier only feature won't get built on professional which might lead to mis-use of licenses.Hence there will build error on the features not supported by Professional.Taking windows feature example,on building premier suite file you will get the below error:

ISDEV : error -7334: The package 'XXXX' includes references to Windows features, which are not supported in this edition of InstallShield. These references will not be included in the build.

on professional edition.This is by design.

Hope it clarifies,

Thanks,

Jenifer

OK, Thanks.
Sounds like mixing Professional and Premier would work but be less than ideal.
0 Kudos