cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OneDayBehind
Level 4

PowerShell Script Failing After Conversion from IS 2014 to 2015 SP1

Two of my MSI packages that were upgraded from InstallShield 2014 to 2015 SP1 with no other changes are creating MSIs that fail to install. The MSIs installed correctly on a Windows 2008 R2 server when built with InstallShield 2014 but do not install when being built with InstallShield 2015.

Below is the section of the MSI log that pertains to the cause of the error which appears to be PowerShell related. Other MSIs that don't include PowerShell scripts are working correctly after being upgraded to IS 2015 SP1. The PowerShell scripts work as expected on the same servers when tested in the PowerShell ISE. The server I'm testing on appears to have PowerShell 2.0 on it.

[FONT=Courier New]InstallShield: Calling method with parameters [(System.UInt32)99, (System.String)C:\Users\tkmac11\AppData\Local\Temp\d2562ed8-a0e2-4879-b00b-5e596983c6c6\DisablePilotTasks.ps1]
PowerShell wrapper: Deferred action requested property MsiHiddenProperties not provided by CustomActionData
InstallShield: Loading Assembly System.Management.Automation.resources
InstallShield: Couldn't resolve assembly by name System.Management.Automation.resources, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=en-US, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35
InstallShield: Loading Assembly Microsoft.WSMan.Management.resources
InstallShield: Couldn't resolve assembly by name Microsoft.WSMan.Management.resources, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=en-US, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35
InstallShield: Loading Assembly Microsoft.PowerShell.Security.resources
InstallShield: Couldn't resolve assembly by name Microsoft.PowerShell.Security.resources, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=en-US, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35
CustomAction def_ps1_DisablePilotTasks returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)[/FONT]

Is this a bug in InstallShield 2015?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
OneDayBehind
Level 4

After opening a ticket to Flexera Support, it was determined that PowerShell scripts in InstallShield 2015 will no longer work if the PowerShell "Write-Host" command is used. After disabling that command in my scripts, I no longer get the 1603 error.
0 Kudos