cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wiggers
Level 7

Pin to Taskbar (Win7)

The only way I can start InstallShield at the moment is to type 'Install' in the Start button menu or navigate through All Programs. Once it has started I would like to pin it to the Taskbar, but when I right click on the button the only option is to Close Window. This is the only application on my system that I can't pin!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

Hmm. I haven't encountered this behavior. I've always had the option to pin to the taskbar. What happens if you use Explorer to browse to isdev.exe (the file that the InstallShield shortcut launches) and right-click it? Do you have a Pin to Taskbar option if you do that? It's located in InstallShield Program Files Folder\System.
0 Kudos
wiggers
Level 7

Yes, isdev.exe has the option to pin to taskbar.
0 Kudos
IlkkaV
Level 7

There's most likely some heuristic in Windows that prevents pinning of shortcuts containing certain keywords. In addition to InstallShield, I've had similar issues with Help & Manual back in the day, but they seem to have solved it. So you can either pin isdev.exe as mentioned in earlier post or temporarily rename the InstallShield shortcut to something that doesn't contain the word Install.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Right. Windows does not allow pinning of shortcuts or programs that contain any of the following strings:

• Documentation
  • Help
  • Install
  • More Info
  • Read me
  • Read First
  • Readme
  • Remove
  • Setup
  • Support
  • What's New

Programs with those strings in their names are also not eligible to show up in the most frequently used list.

More information is available here:
Application User Model IDs (AppUserModelIDs)
0 Kudos
wiggers
Level 7

Interestingly, I tried opening InstallShield by double-clicking an ism file and now I get the Pin to Taskbar option on the right-click menu. But when I close that instance the button disappears from the Taskbar.

Renaming the Start menu shortcut does allow pinning and it seems to stick.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

So it's not pinned at all? Sorry about that. I'm having trouble remembering how I got the pinning to work on my machine. Can you create a shortcut to isdev.exe, and then pin that shortcut to your taskbar? Hopefully that pinning instance will stick.

I vaguely now remember something about how using isdev.exe's pinning option may be a problem since it has "install" in its resource block. Creating a shortcut to isdev.exe and then pinning the shortcut (as long as the shortcut does not have "install" or any of the other referenced words in it) will hopefully work.
0 Kudos
wiggers
Level 7

It is pinned now, after I renamed the Start menu shortcut.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Phew. I'm glad you got it working.
0 Kudos