Not Uninstall to reinstall
Hello Installshield Gurus - Although I have checked the setting to Uninstall before installing.
It gives me following error. I did try to update File Version, Assembley File version keeping product code same.
What am I doing wrong?
- The first snapshot that you have is about the way IDE behaves when you run the installer
- To put in brief, whenever you run the setup using Run option from the IDE,it will uninstall the setup in the current machine and install.
- Second snapshot you had attached is of runtime behavior
- What you are trying to achieve here:
- What is the project type you had opted for?
- You can go for upgrades,minor/major upgrade based on the requirement
Oh! So, the first snapshot settings just reflect for IDE not the way installer behave when build. Thanks Jennifer. So, I am making Setup.exe as my deployment team told me that they will use PDQ software to distribute this product, which doesn't deploy MSI silently. Well, I have google a lot but I didn't quiet understand the specifics of setting upgrades. so, I am packaging the application that I made and distributed in the firm via PDQ. All good. But then additional requirements came in and I had to make changes in the Application and re-distribute again by uninstalling the previous one and installing new one. I just changes File Version and Assembly version from 1.00.0000 to 1.00.0002. When I did try from 1.00.0000 to 1.01.0000 , It was giving message as shown in second snapshot.
Please advise the proper setting that need to update so that the Setup.exe first uninstall (in case Application already exists) and then install new version.
Hi @kparveen ,
- If i get the question correctly,you want to update file of say version 1.00.0000 to 1.00.0002.
- I am not able to see any snapshot here,or is it the version of the setup/msi file?
- If you want to update binary files(exe/dll) i would suggest you to go for minor upgrades
- Can you explain why do you want to uninstall the previous application?
Hello Jenifer - Thank you for all the links. Well, I need to update the dll as per new requirements and redistribute the same product firm wide. So, per your suggestion it's a minor update. I get it. When I check the links. It says "you can start by adding a minor upgrade item in the Upgrades view". I don't see Update View? Where to add upgrade item? DLL is already included in the Project Output. So, not sure where are the settings for minor upgrade. Is it possible for you to show me settings in screenshots?
Thank you and Best Regards,
- minor update
Hi @kparveen ,
- Hope you can get upgrades view and how to add upgrade item from the snapshot added below:
- Once you had added Minor upgrade,you would be able to select the setup on which you want to upgrade on,refer the snap below:
- Say setup 1.0 which has dll of version 1.0,you can select that setup here
- Update product version from General Information View especially minor version(second field) of the as in snapshot below:
- You can update/replace the dll file of version 2.0 from version 1.0 and build the project
- The setup.exe that is been created would be minor upgrade of the one that you had selected from upgrades view
Hope it helps,
Hi @kparveen ,
- In Solution Explorer navigate to "General Information" page
- Increment the Product Version(minor or major version)
- Generate a new Product Code(If for major upgrade)
- Make sure that ALLUSERS property has the same value as in the old package
- Navigate to "Upgrade Paths" page and add the old MSI
- Build and install your new version
- When running this new package it should automatically detect and remove older versions.
- You can read about Windows Installer upgrades here: