cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Penguin_Cafe
Level 2

Not Seeing Upgrades View

Gang,

I am not finding the Upgrades view. Looking in the Media node and only see “Path Variables” and “Releases”.

Running InstallShield 2012 – Professional.

What am I missing?

Regards.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
Penguin_Cafe
Level 2

More information.

I was looking in an InstallScript installer. If I change it to an InstallScript MSI installer, the Upgrades option is available.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

InstallScript projects let you create differential releases or full releases to upgrade an earlier version of your product. Here are some links to more information:

Differential vs. Full Releases

Creating an InstallScript Release to Update Previous Versions
0 Kudos
OgeccuT
Level 3

Same here. Can not find upgarde view or a media node. Release Wizard is disabled as well. Can someone help with this?
0 Kudos
OgeccuT
Level 3

I see if i open .ism file then i do see all those options. However msi direct editing does not have it? What is the difference?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

The .ism file is the project file that lets you build a file such as an .msi file as output, add upgrade information, add patch information, etc. If you edit the .msi file directly, there is nothing to build, since you are editing the output file directly.
0 Kudos
OgeccuT
Level 3

Thank you for the answer. So the only way to add an upgrade when editing an msi is from the upgrade table? Can you change media "thick/thin msi" when editing msi? And is there a GUI "as in wise :)" to add a service control?
Thank you,
0 Kudos
OgeccuT
Level 3

One more question. If i need to create an mst to a vendor msi. Can i edit an msi and save it as a mst? This way i am not able to add an upgrade? Correct? Or i should create a project first?
Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Transforms and upgrades are two very different approaches to solving different things. If you want to create a transform, you can create a transform project in InstallShield; when you create that, you reference your base .msi package, and basically configure the differences that you want to be in the transform. If you want to create an upgrade, you use the Upgrades view in your project. We have a number of technical white papers on upgrades; if you want to create upgrades, you may want to check those out:
http://www.flexerasoftware.com/resources/whitepapers.htm

To configure services, use the Advanced Settings area of the Components view.
0 Kudos
OgeccuT
Level 3

Understood. Thank you for your help. Just trying to make sure.
Say you have a vendor msi and you need to create a mst and one of the things you need to add is an upgrade "most vendors will have this"
But upgrade is not available when editing msi directory. So do you need to convert an msi to a project? And then save it as a TRANSFORM?
Thanks for the help.
0 Kudos