cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rguggisberg
Level 13

New Feature Request

I have not yet upgraded to IS 2016 (still on 2015 SP1) but am posting here to be more current.
We currently have 3 choices for ‘Script Error Handling’ when running SQL scripts:
o On Error, Goto Next Script
o On Error, Goto Next Statement
o On Error, Abort Installation

The difficulty is that only the last one posts an error message. I understand that you may not want an error message for unattended installs. But for attended installs it would be nice to know that the script failed but still be able to complete the installation. Could you implement something like below where “Display Error Message” is a separate radio button? Default is to leave it unchecked for first 2 existing choices and checked for last existing choice. This would match current behavior. We could check it if we want to see error messages for the first 2 existing choices.

o Display Error Message

o On Error, Goto Next Script
o On Error, Goto Next Statement
o On Error, Abort Installation

Thank you for considering
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

Thank you for your input. The reason why InstallShield displays a SQL scripting error only for the "On Error, Abort Installation" option is that it would be annoying to dismiss the error dialogs when there are hundreds of SQL scripting errors. The SQL scripting errors are written to a Windows Installer verbose log if you are using a Basic MSI or InstallScript MSI project. Doesn't that help?
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Thanks for the reply Hidenori. That makes sense. Unfortunately most users won't be logging the install. Logging the install is something I can do during development to be sure scripts are ok. I suppose the ideal situation would be if we had the ability to display that the script had an error(s) and not display all of them.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

We can add the ability to store SQL scripting errors into a built-in property so that you can utilize the information for your requirements. Would that be helpful?
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Yes, That would be great!
Thanks Hidenori.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

I submitted the enhancement work order IOJ-1777204 so that we will take it into consideration for a future release. Thank you for your feedback.
0 Kudos