cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
IlkkaV
Level 7

Network problems with IS 2008 on Vista

I'm currently evaluating whether we can upgrade to IS 2008 from IS 12, and I ran into problems related to network connections after installing the evaluation version on both 64-bit and 32-bit editions of Vista. I still can access for instance all network shares within the company network, but web browsers don't work (both IE7 and Firefox) and the activation tool for our own product is crippled as well. However, I could get for example tracert to work when the evaluation was installed, and it got to its destination, so all network traffic wasn't blocked.

After uninstalling the evaluation version, the 64-bit version still can't access any website, and also tracert is broken with "Unable to initialize the Windows Sockets interface, error code 10107" message. With the 32-bit version I was lucky enough to have system restore enabled, so restoring back to the point before IS 2008 installation recovered network connectivity. Do you know about this issue and is there any other choice but to reinstall the system to recover from the situation? The fact that IS 2008 toasted two different installations in a similar manner makes it unlikely that the problem was a one-off situation.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I'm not aware of any problems like this, and we've installed and uninstalled from multiple Vista machines many times during our test cycle. I'm a little unclear whether this problem occurred directly after installation or uninstallation of InstallShield 2008, and/or whether other products on the machine could have been involved.

Furthermore, being that this is on Vista, I would have expected more OS level protection against such unfortunate changes by whatever application or install is causing it. At any rate, would it be possible for you to provide some more specifics as to how we could best replicate the scenario in which you encountered this? Any unusual network settings or programs that may have been present on the machine could be critical to identifying this.
0 Kudos
IlkkaV
Level 7

The problem occurred after installing IS 2008, and I could restore the 32-bit installation by doing a system restore, but with the 64-bit one system restore wasn't enabled, so I need to do a reinstallation on that one since uninstalling IS 2008 on the 64-bit installation did not help.

The 32-bit installation had more additional software (such as Delphi 2007) installed while the 64-bit version was more bare-bones one. Both had Symantec AntiVirus, Mozilla Firefox and SnagIt 8 installed. There weren't any additional network settings apart from joining the computers to our domain. However, when trying the installation on a Vista virtual machine which it not a member of the domain, there weren't any problems.
0 Kudos
IlkkaV
Level 7

Hmm, it could be that my problems were due to http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q113345 as it could've been so that I built and installed/uninstalled a test project before I noticed the problem. For after all, COM extraction was one of the reasons I was checking whether we should upgrade to IS 2008 from IS 12.

Is there any planned schedule for IS 2008 service pack?
0 Kudos
Qingsong
Level 5

You can download a hot fix for the IDE version from http://esupportus.macrovision.com/view.asp?articleid=Q113345

Where can I download this fix for Standalone build?
0 Kudos
SherylSikora
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

I have posted the StandAlone Build version of this fix in this post:

http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=174493

The KB will be updated shortly with these files.
(If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
0 Kudos