cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarcCa
Level 4

.Net component installation time problem

Hello,

I have a problem with the duration of the installation of two small .NET components and the registering for COM interoperability of them.

I use in my project two .NET dlls which have to be registered.
I have done this by creating a new component and by setting the ".Net assembly" setting to "Local assemby". I also set the self register option of the component to true and I've added the two neccessary files.

The build goes fine and the installation is also fine, but the only problem I encounter is that when I install the project on a 'clean' VISTA or XP system, it takes about 5 minutes to install and register these 2 .NET dlls, while on my own build PC it does not take any time.
The installer progress bar stays te same for these five minutes so for the user it looks like the installer hanged itself and that is not acceptable for us.
I analysed it on Vista and XP using the Process monitor from sysinternals, and see that the there is a lot of file access to DotNetInstaller.exe.

Maybe somebody can explain this long time to me?

On the XP system I have .NET 2.0 installed. On Vista is .Net is already a part of the OS.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
MarcCa
Level 4

Hasn't anyone got a clue why this can happen? :confused:
0 Kudos
carsten711
Level 5

you can create a log file from the installation and check on which step the installer hangs. Is this the .Net installation, you can check why the installation from .Net is running.
0 Kudos