cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoderCoder
Level 8

.Net 3.5SP1 Pre-requsite doenst reflect progress bar

When installing .Net 3.5 SP1 through a web download, the progress bar doesnt reflect the progress. Its taking a long time (15mins) depending on the connection link, progress bar doesnt move at all, giving the feeling of a hang to the user. How can the progress bar be updated?

Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
mgrieb
Level 3

I have the same problem. I have found a few posts discussing it, but no replies with solutions or workarounds. Given a feature prerequisite could have a long download time it would seem the user should be given some progress or at least an indication the process is not hung.

Is this a known issue? Is a fix planned?
0 Kudos
JoderCoder
Level 8

What I ended up doing is that I passed the parameter /qb to the .net installer rather than /q. That way you get a second window that has a title of Microsoft Windows and a correct progress bar.
0 Kudos
mgrieb
Level 3

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately it sounds like .net 35sp1 is different from other prerequisites in that it handles the downloading itself. In our case it is prereqs that are downloaded fully before executing. The lack of any download progress makes it seem like the process is dead.
0 Kudos
AaronM
Level 6

In our similar situation, we opted to move our .NET prereq from feature prereq to setup-prereq. That way it is all done before our install begins and isn't affected by the lack of movement in progress bar.

For our SQL Server prereq it is still a feature pre-req since only needed if a certain feature is selected. However, we have since modified the SQL Server's command line from /qn to /qb to show its user-interface accordingly.

To my knowledge, this is only an issue on Windows Vista as feature prereqs seem to work fine on XP.

Here is a related forum posting with some additional information.
http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=183097
0 Kudos