cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ebbe_Jensen
Level 3

Nested .msp in Installshield 2010?

Hello Community.

Is it possible to launch nested .msp packages from custom actions?

Another question: A .msi package consists of a single .msi file, or a .msi file AND cab-files + other files. Is it only possible to launch nested single .msi packages from custom actions? :confused:

Best regards, Ebbe
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
KathyMorey
Level 10

Windows Installer will not allow more than one Execute Sequence to run at a time. So, you cannot launch an MSI from the Execute Sequence of another MSI. You can from an Install Sequence, but those are a. not elevated, b. skipped for a silent installation, and c. completely contrary to best practices.

I don't know about .msp files, though, sorry.
0 Kudos
Ebbe_Jensen
Level 3

Hi.

Thank you for answering. I dont fully understand, are you claiming that nesting .msi's isnt possible? What about this article then?

http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=Q105706&sliceId=

Or are you saying, that i cannot build my installshield project into a single .msi, when I have nested msi's inside the project ? 🙂

Best regards, Ebbe
0 Kudos
Ebbe_Jensen
Level 3

If youre saying that the final .msi does not do silent installation, then I believe that nested .msi is not a solution for me 😞 Too bad.

Then I'll have to develop a .net program, which is called from within the final .msi, and then carrys out calling the included .msi's.
0 Kudos