cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Djordhan
Level 2

Need advice on managing projects/release/versions

Hi all,

I'm kinda new to InstallShield and I'm having a hard time deciding how to manage my project.

We release a new major release every 3 months and I was wondering if I had to "duplicate" the project file for each version. If I do so, what's the point of having multiple Releases in a single project if every version needs a new project file ?

Thank you for your time!
JD
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
madj42
Level 2

While I wish I had an answer for you, I'm in the same boat. I'm coming from Wise and I was taught the method of duplicating the project file. After looking at the releases tab, it looks like this would be a better way of managing but I'm confused as to how it works if I have to build an older release. Does it keep the files in the disk image or does it refresh them if I select build on that old release. I wish it would have an option of automatically adding previous releases in the project to the upgrade tab too.
0 Kudos
Reureu
Level 10

I'm not sure I understand what you mean:
[LIST=1]
  • Do you duplicate your InstallShield project for every new major version?
  • Do you duplicate your InstallShield project for every release ("release" in the sense of InstallShield project output).

• In case number 1, you could save yourself this job by putting your InstallShield project under source control and using baselines.

• In case number 2, choosing what to do depends on how much your various releases have in common.

We have only 1 ISM project file, which outputs 3 different releases.

If they have the same installation sequences, but only install different files, you should be ok using the so-called "Release-flags".
      If they follow a different installation sequence, I would go for several InstallShield projects.
  • 0 Kudos