Hi,

Do we have a support for this new version? 🙂

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(16) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I was reading a blog today that's interesting....

http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2008/08/12/isa-proxy-client-may-be-required-to-download-vs-2008-sp1.aspx

Sounds like even more integration / distribution hell for ISV's trying to create vertical applications using the framework.

Oh an ya, as if 190MB wasn't big enough, they have now managed to bump it up to 215MB. 13% increase.... wish my 401K would do that.
0 Kudos
Ron_Schaeffer
Level 6

Does anyone know if an official prerequisite is available yet (particularly one that will let me specify 'download from the web')?

Would be useful if these things came out close to the release of the software.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I roll my own, but it would be nice to get an official one so I don't have to listen to InstallAware PR spam....
0 Kudos
Ron_Schaeffer
Level 6

I could do as well, but the downside is that then we have to carry the redistributable around in our setup - which increases the disk footprint for our installers, which increases the copy/download time for them as well. With the "official" setup prerequisite comes the download from their web site.

Once they start providing this type of "service", they can't be intermittment / occasional about it - can't skip service packs for example - it has to be all or none.
0 Kudos
SherylSikora
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

We supplied the official prereqs in this KB article: http://kb.acresso.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalID=Q200284

The article says that the prereqs are for IS 2009, and although we didn't test these for IS 2008 you shouldn't have any issues using them with IS 2008.
(If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
0 Kudos
KarenMcElroy
Level 3

Sheryl,

I'm using IS 2008 and the article mentions downloading from the Redistributables view, but I don't see anything for Framework 3.5 that is downloadable.

Is there some direct place from which we can download?

thanks,
0 Kudos
SherylSikora
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

In the KB article that I mentioned in my previous post there is an attachment at the bottom named public_dotnet35SP1PRQs.ZIP. Download that and you will have the 3.5 SP1 prerequisite.
(If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
0 Kudos
tjjjohnson
Level 3

I'm having a problem with the "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.prq"

There is a "File Can't be Found (Error 404)" error on "http://saturn.installshield.com/is/prerequisites/microsoft .net framework 3.5 sp1.prq"

It seems to be caused by the section: "AltPrqURL="http://saturn.installshield.com/is/prerequisites/microsoft .net framework 3.5 sp1.prq">"

Is this URL incorrect? I downloaded the prq file from http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/selfservice/documentLink.do?externalID=Q200284
0 Kudos
SherylSikora
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

That URL is valid. I am not having any problems downloading that file from the server. Are you still having problems?
0 Kudos
bmckeever
Level 2

How does this work for Windows 2008 R2? On that platform, you can't install .Net 3.5 with dotnetfx35.exe - you get an error telling you to use the Role Management tool. Is there an updated pre-req to handle this case? Or is there another way?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Under a search for "programmatically install .net 3.5 on server 2008 r2", I ran across a suggestion to run
servermanagercmd -install Net-Framework
This was of course followed by a correction that this exe is deprecated and may not work in later versions of Windows, suggesting a PowerShell cmdlet instead (perhaps something like described on http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlblog/archive/2010/01/08/how-to-install-net-framework-3-5-sp1-on-windows-server-2008-r2-environments.aspx could be launched with our prerequisite's ShellExecute support - but that part's available only in more recent versions of InstallShield).

So if you're concerned specifically with Windows Server 2008R2, it should be straightforward to wire up either alternate version of the prerequisite for that OS, but stick with the simple EXE case for IS2008.
0 Kudos
eladef
Level 7

I have created a simple prerequisite that run a batch file with this line:
powershell.exe Import-Module ServerManager ; Add-WindowsFeature as-net-framework

When I run the bat file it works Ok but when running as prerequisite I get errors
I thought it have something to do with permissions issue
So I tried to run the setup as Administrator, set the prerequisite to require administration privilege and set the setup required execution level but nothing works
( I'm using InstallShield 2010 Basic MSI )

Maybe you can share some info about it ?
0 Kudos
sunil_ror
Level 4

Yes prerequisite for .NET framework 3.5 SP1 is available and I am using it already from last four months.
0 Kudos
sunil_ror
Level 4

Will the powershell work in every case?
Sometimes it is also possible that Powershelf itself will be disabled and needs to be activated first.
0 Kudos
eladef
Level 7

Hi

PowerShell seems to work Ok ( I also activated the "Windows PowerShell integration scripting environment" )
See the error I'm getting
Have to created your own prerequisite or downloaded it since I can't find one for 2008 R2.
And most importent what do you have in your script ?

C:\Windows>cd c:\windows

C:\Windows>powershell.exe Import-Module ServerManager ; Add-WindowsFeature as-net-framework
Import-Module : The specified module 'ServerManager' was not loaded because no valid module file was found in any module directory.
At line:1 char:14
+ Import-Module <<<< ServerManager ; Add-WindowsFeature as-net-framework
+ CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (ServerManager:String) [Import-Module], FileNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Modules_ModuleNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.ImportModuleCommand

The term 'Add-WindowsFeature' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is
correct and try again.
At line:1 char:49
+ Import-Module ServerManager ; Add-WindowsFeature <<<< as-net-framework
+ CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (Add-WindowsFeature:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException
0 Kudos
Lloyd_
Level 3

I was getting the same error message as eladef when running on Windows 2k8 R2 64-bit. The problem, as far as I could tell, was that the batch file (or vbscript) would run as a 32bit process and therefore launch powershell in 32bit mode and for some reason, powershell will fail when running in this mode. Actually, you can run powershell from the SysWow64 folder and try these commands and you will see they will fail.

I could not figure out how to execute powershell in 64bit mode so I created a small managed .exe and compiled it for AnyCPU and this does work properly. Then I create a prerequisite to launch my managed exe. The exe launches powershell and powershell is in 64-bit mode. I have not tested this on a 32bit Server 2008 R2 but I believe it should work.

Here's the code for my managed .exe, hope this helps:
[code]
using System;
using System.Diagnostics;

namespace PrerequisiteHelper
{
class Program
{
static void Main(string[] args)
{
ProcessStartInfo startInfo = new ProcessStartInfo();
startInfo.FileName = "powershell.exe";
startInfo.Arguments = "Import-Module ServerManager ; Add-WindowsFeature as-net-framework";
startInfo.WindowStyle = ProcessWindowStyle.Hidden;
startInfo.UseShellExecute = true;

Process p = new Process();
p.StartInfo = startInfo;
p.Start();
p.WaitForExit();
}
}
}
[/code]
0 Kudos