cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thekalki
Level 4

Msiexec.exe error while installation/uninstallation

Hi,

I have migrated a Basic MSI Project from IS2008 to IS2010 with vbscript custom actions in it.

The upgrade was successful with out any errors.

When I run setup.exe, the installation is working fine -- However, it displays a message saying "MsiExec.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. we are sorry for the inconvenience."

I have encountered this issue on Windows XP Machine.

In EventVwr, the error message displayed is "Faulting application msiexec.exe, version 3.1.4001.5512, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.5512, fault address 0x0000e450."
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Cary_R
Level 11

I've seen this before if you're using Self-Registration for *.dll's.

Since the *.dll's get loaded under the running Msiexec.exe, if their self-registering entrypoint wasn't written correctly it could step on some memory location and corrupt the heap/stack, causing a crash later on.

I would change any files that have records in the ISSelfReg or SelfReg tables to be "COM Extract at Build" and see if that helps. This requires each *.dll being the Keypath of its own Component, and then setting that property on the Component.

The other possibility is if you have a C++ *.dll in your project that is misbehaving. Which, of course, is a bit more difficult to deal with.
0 Kudos
thekalki
Level 4

Cary -- Thanks for the help

However, we never encountered this issue with that specific .dll in IS2008. The only thing we did is migrating the Basic MSI Project from IS2008 to IS2010 and now we see this error.

A standard dll custom action (c:\windows\system32\user32.dll) is used at installFinalize. This is causing the actual problem.
0 Kudos