cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Barvaz
Level 6

MsiLogFileLocation

Hi,

I want to create my installation log file under the folder %TEMP% so i set MsiLogFileLocation property to [TempFolder]Installation.log
After the installation i don't find the file under %TEMP%.

Please advice.

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(10) Replies
skolte
Level 7

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Barvaz
Level 6

Yes this will help if i run the installation via command line.
But if i run it by clicking on the setup exe file - How can I determine, decide where to send the log file? for example i want to create it under %TEMP%/installation.log

Thanks
0 Kudos
skolte
Level 7

Nope, it will create a log file in the location you specify there no matter how you run your setup.exe.
0 Kudos
Barvaz
Level 6

I've done on your recommendation, and the log file wasn't created
Other log file MSI67a89.LOG is created.
Do you know why?
0 Kudos
skolte
Level 7

It works for me. Here is that I built with InstallShield 2012 Pro, this is an InstallScript MSI project. As you can see in the screenshots below, it created the log file in temp folder for the user logged in i.e. under C:\Users\\AppData\Local\Temp

Make sure you have logging turned ON in General Information > Create Log as shown below.

The command line argument that I gave is
/L*v %temp%\MyLog.txt
(no space between /L*v)

0 Kudos
Barvaz
Level 6

I made all what you wrote with no success, the only different is my MSI 2012 - Premier Edition
0 Kudos
Barvaz
Level 6

You can review my log file - As you can see CommandLine is empty
0 Kudos
skolte
Level 7

Did you try the sample that I posted? Does it create a log file named MyLog.txt as shown in earlier screenshots?
0 Kudos
Barvaz
Level 6

My mistake it's okay - I found that the file is created only after installation....Correct?
Until now i run "Test User Interface" and looking for the file with no success.

I've Another Question for you, Please -
How can i add size of my application to ARP? Manage the EstimatedSize value?
I manage the ARP from "System Configuration->Registry..." Add the following entries
DisplayName = [ProductName]
UninstallString = [SystemFolder]msiexec.exe /i [ProductCode]
DisplayIcon = [INSTALLDIR]yourmain.exe
HelpLink = [ARPHELPLINK]
InstallLocation = [INSTALLDIR]
Publisher = [Manufacturer]
UninstallPath = [SystemFolder]msiexec.exe /i [ProductCode]
DisplayVersion = [ProductVersion]
InstallSource = [SourceDir]
Language = #[ProductLanguage]
URLInfoAbout = [ARPURLINFOABOUT]
EstimatedSize = [??????????]

I do not know with what to initialize the EstimatedSize value -After the installtion the size value is empty in the ARP.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Barvaz
Level 6

During the setup file I'm created log directory naming time stamp (Like: %temp%\12132011_192348). The log directory is creating by the install script.
As discus below the setup installation log is written to %temp%\My_Log.txt.
I have 2 question:
1) Can i write the setup installation log to %temp%\12132011_192348 and NOT to %temp%\My_Log.txt ( I assuming that not - but maybe somehow).
2) an assuming that question 1 is not possible - How can i copy %temp%\My_Log.txt to %temp%\12132011_192348\My_Log.txt in the end of the installation process?

Thanks
0 Kudos