cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rguggisberg
Level 13

Modify from Suite

I have 5 features (packages) and 1 sub-feature in a Suite. I want to have the following 4 options:

1. Install/Uninstall
I made a MaintenanceFeatures screen that has 2 columns of checkboxes… 1 for Install and 1 for uninstall. This is working.

2. Modify
I made a MaintenanceChangeFeatures screen that has 1 column of checkboxes… 1 for each package for which Modify is allowed (3 of 6). I have the look I want by setting Visible to:
{Binding FEATURE[My Feature].installState!=0}
Property is:
FEATURE[My Feature].actionState==modify
And of course ‘Install’ takes me to the ‘InstallationProgress’ screen.
It goes through the motions but effectively does nothing (does not launch install MyFeature).
Which is exactly what the log shows. I don’t know how to interpret the log well enough to know WHY. What is the cause?

3. Repair
This is almost working, except that it attempts to repair all features for which Repair is allowed… even if the feature is not installed! What I need to do is something like:
IF FEATURE[My Feature].installState!=0 SET FEATURE[My Feature].actionState==modify
How do I do that?
BTW, Setting 'Exit Behavior' to "Continue the setup" does not help.
I get a pop up message "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed."

4. Uninstall
Uninstall all features. This is working.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Do you already have the hotfix from this thread? I know we encountered the repair behavior you mention internally, but I'll have to do some research to see if our fix for it is in that hotfix.

Ditto what you describe in 2. The parts I would look for are the feature and parcel action states (see the troubleshooting blog for a number lookup). How do the feature states end up?
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Michael,
For Modify I checked package
D924301D-851C-4D6A-9E1A-035EB1CA33EC
Property=FEATURE[Workstation].actionState==install
Log attached... it does nothing as shown in the log.

See this post for a 'Repair' log
http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?t=200514
Yes, the hotfix is applied. That did not make any difference.
The link to the hotfix that you refer to above is dead... I assume you mean
http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?t=200247&page=3
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I think the one big trick for Modify is that while there's an overall suite state of modify, once you get down to the feature and package levels, there's not an action state of modify. A feature can only be installed, removed, repaired, or left alone. Does it work better if you set FEATURE[...].actionState to install?
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Michael,
I think you are right. Seems like Modify is not doable.
Yes, I did try setting FEATURE[...].actionState to install.
It might be nice if there was an 'Execute' action available so that I could execute a command like
{Execute control appwiz.cpl}
There are probably many other cases where one might want to execute something.

My Repair problem in
http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?t=200514
is now fixed (only had half of the hotfix installed)!
Thanks
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Sounds like you're looking for {Open ...} - the only trick there is it currently has to be a property which contains the file you want to open rather than the name of the file itself. Alternately you can use a custom UI action (see Hidenori's blog post Calling a Function in a DLL from a Wizard Page or Window in a Suite Installation) to launch anything you'd like.

As for the repair question, let me follow up with Josh about whether that hotfix includes the fix for repairing all packages.
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Thanks Michael.
Open is what I need... almost 🙂
I can set a property to control.exe and I can successfully execute that with Open.
What I really need is the ability to supply an argument...
control.exe appwiz.cpl
How do I do that? So far I have not uncovered the secret to making that work. Hidenori's custom UI action idea has merit for some things, but not here, since I don't want to supply OS specific executables as Support Files.
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Has anybody figured out how to supply an argument to a program that you run with OPEN?

I can set a property to control.exe and I can successfully execute that with Open.
What I really need is the ability to supply an argument like...
control.exe appwiz.cpl
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

For this case, can't you just execute appwiz.cpl itself? I don't think this currently supports arguments, as it was intended primarily for opening documents (such as .pdf or .doc files) that do not take arguments. Perhaps we can address this in the next release.
0 Kudos
rguggisberg
Level 13

Michael,
I can do appwiz.cpl from a CMD prompt but not in a Suite.
Can't do {Open appwiz.cpl} or {Open MyProperty}. Get the error...
"This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel."
Don't want to do that on the target machine.
Thanks anyway. Something to add to the next version 🙂
0 Kudos