cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cowdogman2
Level 3

Missing mfc140u.dll

I downloaded an evaluation version of InstallShield Express 2018 SP1. Installation seemed to go fine, but the app "InstallShield 2018 For Visual Studio 2015" wouldn't start, throwing the error "The program can't start because mfc140u.dll is missing from your computer."

After some research I thought the problem might be because I didn't have the right Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 and so I downloaded and installed vc_redist.x64.exe (https://download.microsoft.com/download/9/3/F/93FCF1E7-E6A4-478B-96E7-D4B285925B00/vc_redist.x64.exe). But I got the same error.

I'm using:

Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition
Windows 7 SP1

I've attached a screenshot of the error.

Needless to say, not a great start for an software installer evaluation.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11541[/ATTACH]

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi cowdogman2,

The mfc140u.dll file you mentioned comes as part of VC++ 2015 redistributable only.Do check the existence of this file at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\redist\x64\Microsoft.VC140.MFC or C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\redist\x86\Microsoft.VC140.MFC based on OS version you might need to pick.

Thanks,
Jenifer
0 Kudos
cowdogman2
Level 3

Hi:

I had the VC++ 2015 redistributable installed already, but after seeing your response I uninstalled and reinstalled it. And checked that it showed up in Programs in my Control Panel.

The dll is not located in either of the paths you provided. I am BTW running 64 bit Windows 7. The dll is instead located in my Microsoft Office program files, but that shouldn't make a difference (should it?).

I also uninstalled Visual Studio 2017 Pro because I thought there might be a conflict and then I uninstalled and reinstalled the VC++ 2015 redistributable. That didn't help. I also restarted a few times. Ditto.

I also created the path you provided and placed the dll there. That didn't help.

I am still unable to open InstallShield 2018 for Visual Studio 2015 or access InstallShield through Visual Studio 2015 "Add Project."

Screenshot included.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
cowdogman2
Level 3

P.S., I also uninstalled and reinstalled InstallShield Express 2018 SP1 after removing Visual Studio 2017 Pro. It didn't help.
0 Kudos
cowdogman2
Level 3

Figured it out.

In Programs and Features in the control panel I clicked on Visual Studio 2015. In the following dialog I clicked "Repair." This reinstalled the VC++ 2015 redistributable, among other things. (Keep in mind I had already removed the VC++ 2017 redistributable.)

I still do not see the mfc140u.dll in my Visual Studio program files, but InstallShield 2018 is working.

The following discussion about the interplay of the VC++ 2015 redistributable and the VC++ 2017 redistributable pointed me in the right direction: https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/content/problem/14701/visual-c-redistributable-for-visual-studio-2015-ca.html

I may be wrong but it appears the VC++ 2017 redistributable removes the VC++ 2015 redistributable and is supposed to serve as its replacement. For some reason InstallShield 2018 (at least the version on my computer) doesn't recognize this substitution.

If anybody has another explanation I'd definitely like to hear it.

Brad

0 Kudos
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi cowdogman2,

I would suggest in a fresh machine try installing only InstallShield 2018 express and see the behavior.i could see mfc140u.dll present in(C:\Windows\Syswow64/System32 as well in redist folders too).On succeeding this,you could proceed with other Visual studio installations.You may not need to install VC++ 2015 redistributable manually,installshield can do that installation for you.Give it a try to see whether it works

Thanks,
Jenifer
0 Kudos
cowdogman2
Level 3

Hi Jenifer:

Thanks.

I actually figured it out yesterday and posted the solution to this thread, but I got a message saying that my message was to be reviewed by a moderator--and it's still not posted here (as of now).

After looking around the internet a bit I saw that the VC++ 2017 Redistributable will remove the VC++ 2015 Redistributable upon installation. The VC++ 2017 Redistributable is supposed to take the place of the the VC++ 2015 Redistributable, and supposedly software looking for the VC++ 2015 Redistributable will use the VC++ 2017 Redistributable. I had installed Visual Studio Pro 2017, which had (I'm pretty sure) overwrote the VC++ 2015 Redistributable with the VC++ 2017 Redistributable.

My solution: Uninstall Visual Studio Pro 2017 (which I don't use), uninstall the VC++ 2017 Redistributable and then in Control Panel -- Programs click on Visual Studio 2015 and on the following dialog click Repair. This will, among other things, reinstall the VC++ 2015 Redistributable.

Note that the VC++ 2015 Redistributable will NOT install if the the VC++ 2017 Redistributable is installed.

If you use both VS 2017 and VS 2015, I suggest you just run the repair on VS 2015 without removing VS 2017--not sure that will work, but it's what I would try.

Hope this message gets posted--as installing IS 2018 was a very frustrating experience for me.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Same as before, you need to install the VC++ redist for the VC++ version you have used to compile the program, VS2012 in this case.

mybkexperience[/HR]
0 Kudos