Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mikomada
Level 3

Minor upgrade - change component key file

Jump to solution

Hi,

What are the consequences of changing component's key file during minor upgrade. I have a component with one dll which I need to change to a different file.  I have tested this and it seems to work fine, except that the old file is not removed on uninstall.

However the official guidelines state that is should not be done. Could someone tell we why?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Solution

Yeah, it's better to stick to official rules. Even though it seems to work fine, it may return someday as unexpected error. Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(2) Replies
shunt
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

You are correct that Microsoft's official rules state that a Minor Upgrade does not support the removal of a Key File:

"....a small update or minor upgrade must never change the name of a component's key file because this would require changing the component code."
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/msi/changing-the-product-code

As Minor Upgrades also don't support changing the component code which is the same as removing a component a Major Upgrade is required.

As for what would follow if the rules are broken - the phrase often used is "unexpected behaviour", and I have seen many strange events from seemingly unconnected components in different features failing to install, to files being orphaned.
Ignoring the rules could result in issues that are simply not documented or supported and is therefore not recommended.

0 Kudos

Yeah, it's better to stick to official rules. Even though it seems to work fine, it may return someday as unexpected error. Thanks.

0 Kudos