cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bineesh
Level 6

Minor Upgrade not replacing files for a feature

Hi,
I created a minor upgrade for my Product but it is not replacing files of old feature (happening for only one feature replacing files for other features) from the log I can see that my old version was not installed it is only advertised and the components not installing

Action start 15:21:01: InstallValidate.
MSI (s) (E0:4C) [15:21:01:140]: Feature: Feature1; Installed: Advertise; Request: Reinstall; Action: Reinstall
MSI (s) (E0:4C) [15:21:01:140]: Feature: Feature2; Installed: Local; Request: Reinstall; Action: Reinstall
MSI (s) (E0:4C) [15:21:01:140]: Feature3: Common; Installed: Local; Request: Reinstall; Action: Reinstall
MSI (s) (E0:4C) [15:21:01:140]: Component: Help; Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Local
MSI (s) (E0:4C) [15:21:01:140]: Component: __MSXML4_Unicode.2E8D8EBB_CC16_45E1_BBCA_C65; Installed: Null; Request: Local; Action: Null
MSI (s) (E0:4C) [15:21:01:140]: Component: __MSXML4_Parser.2E8D8EBB_CC16_45E1_BBCA_CB65; Installed: Null; Request: Local; Action: Null
MSI (s) (E0:4C) [15:21:01:140]: Component: Objects_Server.dll; Installed: Local; Request: Null; Action:Null
MSI (s) (E0:4C) [15:21:01:140]: Component: Server.Logging.xml; Installed: Local; Request: Null; Action:Null
MSI (s) (E0:4C) [15:21:01:140]: Component: Server.dll; Installed: Local; Request: Null; Action: Null
MSI (s) (E0:4C) [15:21:01:140]: Component: Client.dll; Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Local
MSI (s) (E0:4C) [15:21:01:140]: Component: Objects_Client.dll; Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Local
MSI (s) (E0:4C) [15:21:01:140]: Component: Objects.dll; Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Local
MSI (s) (E0:4C) [15:21:01:140]: Component: Create_Central.sql_SQLComponent; Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Local
MSI (s) (E0:4C) [15:21:01:140]: Component: Create_Station.sql_SQLComponent; Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Local
MSI (s) (E0:4C) [15:21:01:140]: Component: Create_Protocol.sql_SQLComponent; Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Local
MSI (s) (E0:4C) [15:21:01:140]: Component: Create_Protocol_Template.sql_SQLComponent; Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Local
MSI (s) (E0:4C) [15:21:01:140]: Component: MSXML4_Parser.2E8D8EBB_CC16_45E1_BBCA_CB1ED881EDB7; Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Null
MSI (s) (E0:4C) [15:21:01:140]: Component: MSXML4_Unicode.2E8D8EBB_CC16_45E1_BBCA_CB1ED881EDB7; Installed: Local; Request: Local; Action: Null

It is a Basic MSI Project
Can anyone tell me what is the exact reason??
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
Ajay_Ladsaria
Level 7

Hi,

I assume that the advertised feature was actually installed locally in the original install - is that right?

I believe that the feature state can show up as 'Advertised' when minor upgrade component authoring rules have been violated. Basically you may have deleted a component, changed a component GUID, or changed a keyfile of a component.

You can use the Upgrade Validation wizard from Build menu - Validate in InstallShield IDE and point it to your original install and your minor upgrade install, and it will verify the component authoring rules for a minor upgrade.

Changing the Product Code
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367850(v=VS.85).aspx

-Ajay
0 Kudos
Bineesh
Level 6

Yes, You are correct. advertised feature was actually installed locally in the original install.
But in the validation I cannot see any rules has been violated. Please letme know any more thoughts after seeing the log.
========Validation Log =================

Validator: Val0003
Severity: Note
Message: This setup will perform a MINOR upgrade of the referenced previous setup
Ref. Pkg: c:\docume~1\bnkhani\locals~1\temp\8fb\Application_Setup.msi

Validator: Val0015
Severity: Warning
Message: The CreateFolder table contains new content. Therefore, if you are packaging this upgrade as a patch, you will not be able to make it an uninstallable patch.
Ref. Pkg: c:\docume~1\bnkhani\locals~1\temp\93d\Application_Setup.msi
0 Kudos
Bineesh
Level 6

I am adding a componet (sql script) in the upgraded build in the existing feature. As per my knowledge the the minor upgrade should support this. I created a subfeature to existing feature and made it not visible and moved the newly created component to that feature. Now it is upgrading all the files in the main feature but it is not installing the new feature (newly added subfeature) while upgrade.

Any thoughts..
0 Kudos
Ajay_Ladsaria
Level 7

Did you by chance move one of your components from one feature to another? I believe that the feature component association should not change during a minor upgrade. If you move a component out of a feature, it may cause the feature's install state to appear as advertised during a minor upgrade.
0 Kudos
Bineesh
Level 6

Thanks Ajay for your help..
I resolved the issue added a subfeature and mapped the new componnet in to the newly added subfeature and made visibility of that feature false, Remote Installation: Favour Parent, Required: Yes, DisAllow Advertise. This worked.
0 Kudos
ISViper
Level 3

Guys, thanks a lot for your posts. This thread saves my day!
0 Kudos