cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DonovanK
Level 4

Minor Upgrade .exe

Can someone tell me when doing a minor upgrade why doesnt the upgrade replace the .exe of the previous version of the application with the latest .exe version ???

How can i tell the upgrade to delete the .exe and replace it with the new version ?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
PilotBob
Level 5

You need to look at the file replace rules.

Files are upgraded in a component based on the key file. If the key file is newer version than that on the system it will be upgraded. This is why you should have one component for each .exe in your installer.

So, either your .exe is not the key file in your component and the key file isn't newer or your .exe has the same version manifest as the previous version.

BOb
0 Kudos
DonovanK
Level 4

Hi PilotBob

I am new to InstallShield. Used to use the setup designer built in Visual Studio.
Could you please explain to me how i would go about doing what you have told me ?
0 Kudos
PilotBob
Level 5

I use the IS IDE not the VS one. But, I think they are pretty much the same.

Does the component that the EXE in question is in have more than one file in it? When you look at the files in the component one of them may have a little "key" icon next to it.

BOb
0 Kudos
PilotBob
Level 5

Also, is the version of the new EXE greater than the one the is previously installed.

BOb
0 Kudos
DonovanK
Level 4

Ive opened the setup and on the component screenview. I c the key that you are talking about.
Should i change the component code for the .exe ???
0 Kudos
DonovanK
Level 4

Ok so ive got it working. I just right clicked on the .exe and said always overwrite...So now its working. Thanks for giving me the right direction.
0 Kudos
PilotBob
Level 5

DonovanK wrote:
Ok so ive got it working. I just right clicked on the .exe and said always overwrite...So now its working. Thanks for giving me the right direction.

I assume you need to do this because the version of your EXE is not newer than the old file.

BOb
0 Kudos
DonovanK
Level 4

The .exe is the same. So now it jst overwrites.
0 Kudos