cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Minor Upgrade and Prevent Downgrade messages poping up issue

I added the Major Upgrade entry to prevent downgrades so that if the user has a newer version installed that the install will disply a message box informing the user that they have a newer version installed and therefore not to install the over version.

Now this works, but the issue that I am finding is that if is detects the newer version it will first dispaly a message box stating if I want to perform an upgrade. If I state yes then it will then display the message that the install on the machine is newer and therefore not allow a downgrade.

I want to know how I can make it so that the prevent downgrade message box pops up before the minor update message box comes up so that I can prevent it.

Thanks,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Nick_Umanski
Level 7

On the PreventDowngrade major update item, have you got the "Version Range Inclusive" tickbox checked - it shouldn't be.

Either that or have you changed the version number of the installer, but not updated the (minimum) version number in this major update item.

Ideally:
"Within a specific range of version" - selected
"Version Range Inclusive" - unticked
(Minimum) Version = same as installer version
(Maximum) Version = blank

Basically the installer thinks this is both a Minor (OR SMALL) update and a downgrade. There are two checks being carried out and both are coming up true. The fact that the minor upgrade warning displays first is irrelevant.

Note the fact that this could be thinking this is a small update which does not involve a change of version number in the installer - this happens if you have just got the automatic spin package code on every build selected (which is the default) - so if you are just trying to install one build over another built 5 minutes ago, you will get the Minor (small) update warning (note this can be suppressed in the Upgrade view).

Once you have got your head around that - the real fault is that the installer is thinking the current version is a downgrade of itself - hence check the fields I have mentioned above.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The question dialog you reference sounds like the one setup.exe puts up when it detects a minor upgrade scenario. Does the machine you're testing on already have 1.0.x and 2.0.x and you're installing a new 1.0.x which appears to be a small or minor upgrade from the existing one?
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

No, I installed the newer build version and then I am testing with another older build version. So only have the one on the system.

So again it does prevent the downgrade, it is just the minor update message that pops up before the 'You already have a later version installed...' message.

So I just want to have the message box stating a later version has been found and exit instead of having both message boxes popping up.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Nick,

I checked the entries for the ISPreventDowngrade and they all seem correct.

The Version Range Inclusive check box is not checked and the minimum version number is correctly set to the current latest build version number.

I do have the package code generated for every build, but the build numbers of the two version that I am testing are different, at least in the third number where that is our build number. So the version numbers are:
Installed 10.0.128.0
Trying to install 10.0.126.0

So build 126 is trying to install over 128 and I get both minor upgrade and Later version installed message boxes.

So if I can prevent the minor upgrade message box in this case that would be great.
0 Kudos
loralynne
Level 6

Hi Tim,

Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm encountering the same issue with my Basic MSI project. I have 10.0.2 installed, attempt to install 10.0.1, get the "upgrade" dialog, and then get the "later version installed" dialog. However, I don't want the upgrade dialog to get displayed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
loralynne
0 Kudos