cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
UNeverNo
Level 6

Migration from Installscript to MSI

We used Installscript to roll out our Software for the past years. Worked fine, but now we want that windows logo, which means we need a MSI based setup.

Our software can be installed multiple times - this should be possible with MSI, too. What about the update? Old installations were made in Installscript. Is there a way that MSI could update them using the old IS-GUIDs?

We use a xml-file to configure our setup without the need of recompiling the entire package (Disk1). But if there is just a single msi-package this method seems to be outdated...any workaround here?

Any experiences with a external C++-dll? We used a VB-dll that read and wrote settings to our database (Access/SQL). In IS we used global objects. Does this still works?

In our old setup we implemented a user-switch via API-calls to run our setup as admin. Is that stille neccesary or can this problem be solved by distributing the files by an admin?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
UNeverNo
Level 6

Hey guys, I could need some help 😉
0 Kudos
usmanjamil
Level 5

UNeverNo wrote:
Any experiences with a external C++-dll? We used a VB-dll that read and wrote settings to our database (Access/SQL). In IS we used global objects. Does this still works?

I've also worked previously on Installscript project and have used external C++ dll at many places in the installscript. It works perfectly in installshield 2008 both for Installscript and Installscript MSI Projects as long as the target machine is 32 bit. But I've faced problems on 64 bit machine. The function UseDll fails to load a dll compiled for 64bit machines, so as long as you are using 32 bit compiled Dll, you will not have any problem.
0 Kudos