cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Devinq
Level 3

Major Upgrade not working for multiple users on the same machine

I have my project set to check and see if the upgradecode exists on a machine. If it finds the code exists, it pops up a message. I have tested this has working, but when I install my application as user 1 and then switch to user 2 on the same machine and run the same MSI, I would expect the same behavior. What I am seeing it that it does not see the upgradecode as existing for the second user. Am I not understanding how this works and is there a way to make this work with 2 different users?
Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

You are not understanding how it works. More information can be found at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa369786%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Basically:

1) Per-User installs performed for one account are out of scope / not visible to other accounts.
2) A major upgrade can also not change context. ( Per-User to Per-Machine or vice versa )
0 Kudos
Devinq
Level 3

Thanks, so to clear there is no way to prevent 2 different users from installing the same application on the same machine using Installshield or Windows installer?
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

You can set ALLUSERS=1 in the package and modify the UI to not allow switch to Per-User. I almost always do this.
0 Kudos