cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mescalero
Level 7

Major Upgrade is not working

Hello All,

I cannot get a major upgrade to work. I am upgrading from version 5.2.0.0 to 5.2.8.0 (which I have changed within the IDE); and I am changing the Product and Package codes. (The Upgrade code remains unchanged.) Yet, when I call the new setup.exe file, it begins a clean install, rather than the resume install I expect, as if the product doesn't already exist on the target machine.

Can anyone offer an explanation?

Thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Mescalero
Level 7

I just noticed that the upgrade does appear to be working correctly, though silently and behind the scenes--old files removed, new ones installed. But I know when I tested the major upgrade functionality previously, the "Resuming the Installshield wizard..." screen first appeared, and that isn't the case here. Why is that the case?
0 Kudos
Dan_Galender
Level 10

You see the SetupResume dialog for minor upgrades. Major Upgrades show the InstallWelcome dialog.

I notice you are using 4 levels of ProductVersion. Keep in mind that Windows Installer only uses the first three levels so, for example, 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.127 are both treated as version 1.1.1.
0 Kudos
Mescalero
Level 7

Right ok, thanks Dan.

Everything seems to be working fine, with the exception of two entries in Add/Remove programs after the install. I'm using the latest (fixed) ISSEtup.dll that resolves this issue, but since the older setup.exe--already released to the customer base--does not contain the fixed dll, it would seem that I cannot take advantage of the major upgrade functionality until the next release. Or is there another workaround?

Thanks...
0 Kudos
J_anitha
Level 8

You will have to remove the registry entry for previously installed product from HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\

You can use the MSI property "MIGRATE" to get the installed product GUID.
0 Kudos
Mescalero
Level 7

So deleting this old product GUID registry entry during the execution of the script will get rid of the original Add/Remove item? Where in the setup.rul file should I delete this registry entry?
0 Kudos