cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
D_Fraz
Level 4

MSXML3.dll Error 1603

Hello,
I am having the following error occur when installing an MSI package created with InstallShield 2013, which causes a roll back:

PerformTypeLib Name: 'msxml3.dll' LibDir: 'C:\Windows\system32\' HelpDir: 'C:\Windows\system32\'
PerformTypeLib failed with error code 11 and function code 0x8002801C.
CustomAction Wdsfpca_DoRegisterTypeLib.C8C0673E_50E5_4AC4_817B_C0E4C4466990 returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox) Action ended 8:49:20: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

The following Merge Module being used to install msxml3.dll: msxml3_wim32.msm
The versions packaged in the merge module:
msxml3.dll - 8.70.1104.0
msxml3a.dll - 8.20.8730.1
msxml3r.dll - 8.20.8730.1

Because of the age of msxml3 I've been unable to find an updated version of this merge module.

Can anyone please suggest a solution? I was able to find the below regarding Application Compitability, but it did not resolve the issue.
http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2012/01/06/case-of-the-windows-installer-installation-failure-and-appcompat-shim.aspx

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
FlexInstall
Level 2

For anyone else experiencing this issue:

On Windows 7 and newer, you could be having this issue because of the Application Compatibility Engine group policy being enabled on the machine. Go to Start > Run > gpedit.msc and hit enter. Application compatibility engine can be turned off by by configuring the “Turn off Application Compatibility Engine” group policy setting under “Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Application Compatibility.”
Make sure the value is set to "Not Configured". Then, reboot.
0 Kudos