cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johjoh70771
Level 4

MSM strings, localized property

I don't get it work, that a property in the msm, which is defined with a localizable string, gets the language string.

I get allways the english string.

What's wrong, what can I do?

Regards! 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi @johjoh70771 ,

I think InstallShield works in that way.If you want your added language string value to be replaced,you have to goto string editor and update the property value.

I could see below notes from InstallShield's localizable property documentation:

1. In the View List under Behavior and Logic, click Property Manager.
  2. Click the arrow next to the New Property button, and then click Localizable Property. InstallShield adds a new row at the bottom of the view. A new string identifier is listed in the Value column for that property.
  3. In the Name column, enter a name for the new property.

Tip: You can use the String Editor view to set a different property value for each language that your project supports.

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Thanks, Jenifer!

I did it, as you describt it.
But in the german Setup, which includes this MSM, I allways get the english string in the MSM-Property.

Regards

0 Kudos

Hi @johjoh70771 ,

Can you tell us in steps how you are making use of property defined in MSM in setup(Can you mention which type of project it is?)?

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Hello Jenifer,

1. MergeModule.ISM with 5 Setup languages, Default language: one of this Five (e.g. dutch)
2. a string with localized text
3. property, localized in Property Manager
4. in Direct Editor property selected with the wanted string
5. Build and copied to the MSM directory

6. Basic MSI.ism with the same 5 languages and the previous MSM
7. DirectEditor , registry with value: [msmproperty.msmguid]
8. Build MSI with language german

9. run MSI and get the registry value with the english string

Regards

0 Kudos

Hi @johjoh70771 ,

Seems like it is  a bug from Mergemodule project type though the same scenario works fine for Basic MSI project type.

The only difference i could see between Mergemodule project type and basic MSI project type is the way we pass property value to usecase:here it is registry

Basic MSI:[NewProperty1]

MergeModule:[NewProperty1.MMID]

If keeping that in MSI works,you can go ahead!!Will update on status of this specific issue related with merge-module project type.

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Well and thank you!

Do you have the posibility to make a Support Incident of this bug?

Perhaps we'l get an IS 2020 without this bug?

Best Regards
Johannes

0 Kudos

Hi @johjoh70771 ,

Update on this issue:

Since merge-module doesn't have option to choose multiple UI languages,which ever language you would choose in MSI that language specific release has to be generated from MSM.

(Please note language link between MSM & MSI happens as single language which you choose under Releases->Release->UI language)

I had given try with English strings been given in multiple languages(via string editor) added in MSM as localized  property,property update seems to be working fine.

I could see registry value getting updated in based on language selection.But if it is non-english string it comes as garbage value (As attached in snapshot).

Making Unicode characters getting updated in registry from MSM would be the actual bug/enhancement.(Will come back to you on this if i get solution or with enhancement request)

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos