cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loyalp
Level 5

MSDE Update Fails

I've an InstallScript MSI package that I'm using to lay down SQL Server Express 2005. New installs are working flawlessly, but we previously put down MSDE with our product and we will need to update that MSDE install to SQL Server Express 2005.

In the script, I'm using SQLEXPR.EXE and cmd line parameters with LaunchAppAndWait.

Interestingly, if I launch the SQLEXPR.EXE with the same cmd line from Run, then it upgrades and everything is fine. It's just when being launched from InstallShield that we seem to have an issue.

From the log created, the problem is nearly the very last step where it attempts to Uninstall MSDE.

Does anyone have familiarity with a similar issue? Would posting part of the log here help with figuring this out? I'm really just stuck at this point.

Thanks!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(23) Replies
loyalp
Level 5

hidenori wrote:
Did you check out the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 SP3 Release Notes? You may need to apply the solution provided in Microsoft's KB article 958655 if your machines have Windows Installer 4.5 installed.

Thanks! That appears to have fixed the issue on my first test run (I'll try on a few other machines).

What's the best way to proceed here, though? Make 10 different prerequisites, one for each of those hotfix packages?
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

The Windows Installer 4.5 Update prerequisites are now available through Acresso's KB article: Q200595.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Also, I have attathed the Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express SP3 setup prerequisites to this post. In order to apply it, you need to copy the .prq files to the C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2009\SetupPrerequisites folder. Note that the hotfix requires InstallShield 2009 SP2. If you are using InstallShield 2009 Express edition, you need to apply the setup.exe hotfix posted in this thread.
0 Kudos