cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johnlucas
Level 3

MDAC 2.8 prerequisite

Hi
I am using ms access database in my application. When i build the setup using Installshield Limited edition it ask me to include the MDAC 2.8 prerequisite.

Anybody know from where to download it.
0 Kudos
(19) Replies
RakeshXP
Level 5

0 Kudos
johnlucas
Level 3

I was already downloaded but not impact in the Installshield setup project. It yet required the .PRQ file of MDAC 2.8.
0 Kudos
RakeshXP
Level 5

You can create your own prq by navigating Tools--> Pre req. editor
0 Kudos
johnlucas
Level 3

We are using Installshield limited edition so this option is not available in it. Can it available as add-on?
0 Kudos
SwethaRao
Level 7

Hello,

MDAC 2.8 is available as a prerequisite in ISLE, please find the screenshot.

Please let us know if this does not appear in the redistributables section of ISLE.

You need to check the box next to it to include it in your project.

Thanks ~ Swetha
0 Kudos
johnlucas
Level 3

Thanks for your reply.

Please find here with attached screen shot for which it show the MDAC not found in ISLE.
0 Kudos
SwethaRao
Level 7

Hello,

I just found that MDAC 2.8 prq is not available through ISLE. I see that you have already downloaded it and you can use the same through a custom action.

Best regards,
Swetha
0 Kudos
johnlucas
Level 3

Hi Sweetha

That what i want, from where the .prq file we can download.

Is this available in another edition of InstallShield?

Is ISLE is compatible with TFS 2010?

Can you please provide us the Mdac 2.8.prq file?

Thanks
johnlucas
0 Kudos
SwethaRao
Level 7

Hello,

ISLE is compatible with TFS 2010.

MDAC 2.8 prq is available with InstallShield Express, Professional and Premier versions.

Thanks,
Swetha
0 Kudos
johnlucas
Level 3

Thanks for reply.

I have one probelm regarding ISLE 2012 with TFS 2010 can you please help me out?

I have created setup project using Installshield limited edition and added that project to TFS 2010.

When another user open that project from TFS 2010 he/she show the file size as zero which are added in setup project.
0 Kudos
SwethaRao
Level 7

Hello John,

Sorry for the delay in response. When files added to the IS project display as 0 bytes, that means the files are not found in the location specified as InstallShield uses the absolute path specified in the “Link To” column. When using TFS Source Control, the Workspace for the users need to be identical if the statically linked files are outputs from other Visual Studio projects.

E.g If UserA has the solution file locally mapped to “C:\MyWorkSpace\MyTest.sln” and adds MyTest.dll file statically to InstallShield from “C:\MyWorkSpace\MyTest\MyTest\Bin\Release” folder, UserB would need to check out the solution to C:\MyWorkSpace. InstallShield would then find the file in the “C:\MyWorkSpace\MyTest\MyTest\Bin\Release” folder when the solution is built. The file size would show as 0 bytes if the solution has not been built since the file doesn’t exist yet.

The other alternative to adding files is to use “Add Project outputs” from Visual Studio solution instead of using absolute paths.

The following video has an example on adding a Visual Studio Project Output in InstallShield.

http://www.flexerasoftware.com/webdocuments/productdemos/IS2010_VSLE_Demo/IS2010_VSLE_Demo-lite.html

Let us know if this helped.

Best regards,
Swetha
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I would ignore this. MDAC 2.8 is already included in WinXP and beyone. The 2.8SP1 redist is only for Win 95/98 NT 4.0/2000. Are you really still supporting these old platforms? I doubt it.
0 Kudos
johnlucas
Level 3

Hi Swetha,

Thank you very much for your reply.

We have followed your mention steps and we get the actual file size for Installshield setup project.

From this scenario Installshield required as same as path for the file when it was first time added to the setup project. Suppose user A has added a file from path "D:\winapps\DocMgrV3\webap.dll" then user B has also followed the same path if user B name folder "DocMgrV3" as "DocMgrV3.1" then he/she will show the file size as 0 in TFS 2010.

Again thank you very much for your help.:):):)

Thanks
Johnlucas
0 Kudos
johnlucas
Level 3

Hi Swetha

As we have development environment and number of users are there. So each pc may not follow the folder structure which added by one user.

Can you please proved your suggestion it as globaly used environment so some user take it on c: drive or some user take the project on d: drive. In this case project file will show the 0 size.

Thanks
JohnLucas
0 Kudos
SwethaRao
Level 7

Hello Johnlucas,

As mentioned in my previous comment, you can try adding files as "project outputs" from Visual Studio solution so that this folder structure differences does not matter. Please let us know if that helped.

Thanks and Regards,
Swetha
0 Kudos
johnlucas
Level 3

Hi Swetha

How can i manually add the file to project out put using visual studio?

For example i have one sql connection related xml file in project how can i add this to project out put file?

Thanks
JohnLucas
0 Kudos
SwethaRao
Level 7

Hello Johnlucas,

On the same screen, if you click on "Add project Outputs", include "Source Files" and "Content Files", I believe all your files will be included to project output.

Once they are added, right click on "projectname.contentfiles" or "projectname.SourceFiles" and select "Resolve Project Output", that will display you the list of files included. You can verify the inclusion of your database file and go ahead with building the project.

Let me know if this helped.

Regards,
Swetha
0 Kudos
johnlucas
Level 3

Hi Swetha,

Thank you for your reply.

Adding setup required file using project "Add project Outputs", include "Source Files" and "Content Files" will not worked in following scenario.

We are making a Setup for our application which contain admin section(windows application) and user section(web application).

1.Window Application (EXE) which required "AccessDatabaseEngine.exe" to run it and we have added in our MachineSetup project( Where all the projects related files stored). We have mark this file as content file.
2. Web application when we add the MachineSetup as "Add project Outputs" it also include the "AccessDatabaseEngine.exe" which not required for this project.

Installshield Limited Edition not provided any facility from which we can remove or unchecked unwanted file from "Resolved project output".

Can you please help us to overcome this issue?

Thanks
JohnLucas
0 Kudos
SwethaRao
Level 7

Hello JohnLucas,

Kindly refer to the below MSDN article on the same:-

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/5cys44sy(v=vs.80).aspx

Let me know if that helps.

Best regards,
Swetha
0 Kudos