cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KeithTX
Level 2

Localized UI for Hong Kong locale problem

I posted a follow-up to an old thread on the IS2010 forum but want to repost here, since I'm using 2012 Spring.

Basically, I'm trying to understand the imlications (downside) of making the change to the setup.ini file to remove the exact language match setting for Chinese (i.e., the default install value) so that a setup UI run in the Hong Kong locale will display Chinese, and not English.

... Installshield 2012 Spring version, Basic MSI. The language options have both Traditional and Simplified Chinese checked & localized. Installing on a Hong Kong Chinese system displays English, no matter what I do. The only thing that works is the /L1028 command line parameter, but that is not an option.

I tried dynamically setting the process UI language and ProductLanguage (to 1028/x404) in the first UI custom action, but that has no effect.

Why is this so hard? Why can't the setup.exe use the user's preferred UI language and be done with it? This is 2013, now. When there's a logged in user with a regional setting established, that should be what's displayed. If Traditional Chinese (zh-TW) is not allowed to be a fallback in this region for some reason, how do I add support for zh-HK (0xC04) in the installer, so the user gets to see what they want?

Note, the recommendation to change the setup.ini file, e.g., change
RequireExactLangMatch=0x0404,0x0804
to
RequireExactLangMatch=

does result in Chinese being displayed. However, there needs to be clear documentation of the possible side effects of this change, since Flexera continues to ship this way.

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Cary_R
Level 11

Hi There,

I think perhaps the issue you're seeing stems from the fact that the detected locale of a Hong Kong Chinese machine is indeed a Chinese locale, but the LCID doesn't match the two flavors of Chinese that InstallShield supports.

I would try following the article here:

http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalID=Q106687

Basically, it'll have you create a 0x0c04.ini file based on the traditional chinese *.ini file, and import the Traditional Chinese strings for the locale ID of 3076.

That way, when the setup runs, it sees that the project contains a locale ID that matches the system, and displays it as an option by default.
0 Kudos