cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
skr
Level 6

List of property names

Hi

You can use eg. IS_MAJOR_UPGRADE to check if an upgrade is a major upgrade. Where can I find a list showing all property names. I need to find out whether it is a first time installation, a major upgrade or a minor upgrade.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

The Windows Installer help library lists predefined properties, and the InstallShield help lists some InstallShield-specific ones.

For the cases you described Not Installed detects a first-time installation, and the "action property" (usually ISACTIONPROP1 or the like) from the Upgrade table can be used as a condition to detect a major upgrade. (The older, installed product in a major-upgrade relationship can use UPGRADINGPRODUCTCODE to see why it's being removed, but that's another story.)

A minor upgrade condition is a bit trickier; perhaps look at the condition on the SetupResume dialog box in the UI sequence.
0 Kudos
schmoli
Level 6

RobertDickau wrote:

A minor upgrade condition is a bit trickier; perhaps look at the condition on
the SetupResume dialog box in the UI sequence.

If he happens to send out all minor upgrades like I do (as MSP patch files), then he could use the PATCH property.

I also use, and thought they were installshield specific (but maybe they are MSI specific)
Not Installed - First time install
IS_MAJOR_UPGRADE - Major upgrade
and I think there is IS_MINOR_UPGRADE as well, but like I said I use PATCH for all those.

I have a lot of CA's whose condition is:
SOMETHING_I_SET and (PATCH or IS_MINOR_UPGRADE or (Not Installed))
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Quite right, PATCH detects an update packaged as a patch. IS_MAJOR_UPGRADE is set by ISSetAllUsers, I believe, so it is InstallShield-specific. IS_MINOR_UPGRADE isn't documented; it might be set by setup.exe, but yes, it's not a predefined Windows Installer property.
0 Kudos